St Christopher House remembered

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Sunday 2 November 2008 2.15pm
Jim C

Memories, memories...!After National Service I too was posted to the War Office St Christopher House in 61..dreaded those those wet and windy Monday mornings struggling with brolly and briefcase[flask and sandwiches only!] staggering from London Bridge Station through the discarded carrots and cabbages of the Borough Market into the welcome ? refuge of St.Christophers...
Interesting lunchtime walks around Clink St, St. Mary Overy Dock, The Bear Gardens and running the gauntlet of the somewhat colourful catcalls of the girls of the Wright's Coal Tar Soap works...
Those were the days !!
Sunday 30 November 2008 6.20pm
Hi old harry

Ta for your reminiscence - I've only just seen it, not having looked in for a while.

I used to trudge wearily to St Christopher House from the other direction, Blackfriars. In those days, I never used Borough Market, though colleagues used to mention popping down there for their fruit & veg. I use it occasionally now, when I'm up in town. It's very upmarket now of course.

You brought your own lunch? So you'll possibly not recall the joint MoT/War Office canteen (on the 10th floor IIRC)? As a youngster, first job and all that, I remember the CS luncheon vouchers (bought for 1s/1d and worth 2s/2d at the counter) which we young'uns were entitled to. For that you could get a main course, meat & 2 veg, and a pud.

There was a small social scene there - I recall people bringing in their latest records for lunchtime record sessions in the MoT basement, and occasional full-scale record hops (what they'd call a disco now, I suppose) at night in the canteen - complete with licensed bar.

I worked in the Armaments Production Directorate while there - ammo prod. and wheeled vehicle prod. and made some good friends, though, sad to say, I've lost touch with them all many years since.

Blimey, I must have lead a sheltered life - never encountered the Wright's Coal Tar Soap girls! LOL.

All the best

Jim
Thursday 22 May 2014 1.14am
I would love to contact anyone who worked at SCH between 1964 - 1968
I remember the basement coffee bar used also for dances ...I printed the tickets when Karl G and the Big Band played.
So many memories of my early working life
Thursday 22 May 2014 9.27am
I don't know if this will work but here is a photo at the rear of SCH, looking down Zoar Street, taken in 2003

St. Christopher House by padraic collins, on Flickr

or a direct link if the image doesn't work...

SCH looking down Zoar Street

Patrick
Sunday 9 October 2016 10.33pm
First time I've looked in since ... 2008! Thanks for that photo, Patrick, that must have been taken around the same time I last saw SCH; next time I visited, there it was, gone!
Monday 10 October 2016 12.36am
Now an M & S and a RBS branch I noticed on site of SCH at MoT where I worked between 1964-1968... Would be great if anyone still around could make contact
(This was my first work experience ...I was in ADI section of DML I think it was called when I left)
Saturday 25 November 2017 4.23pm
Robert Emmerson wrote:
Now an M & S and a RBS branch I noticed on site of SCH at MoT where I worked between 1964-1968... Would be great if anyone still around could make contact
(This was my first work experience ...I was in ADI section of DML I think it was called when I left)
Robert, I've just set up a facebook page, no members yet, called "Memories of St Christopher House, Southwark". You'll be most welcome to join - though obviously there's no guarantee anyone out there will notice the group ...
Saturday 25 November 2017 7.50pm
I have the following objects from that building: two window blinds, a wooden toilet seat, three glass cylinder light covers (from the 50's style electric generator room), two wall clocks, a since-departed cheese plant from the original reception area and a huge fire bell cover from the exterior of the building. Also had a nice drawing board from there at one point, but since gotten rid of. It was a lot of fun roaming around the site as it was being demolished.

I'll look up the page.
Sunday 26 November 2017 10.12pm
to JIMc

Your facebook page idea is great...I shall attempt to join it
Tuesday 28 November 2017 9.15am
I too remember the basement social activities, a group of friends who worked in the building had a small band called West Block and they rehearsed downstairs in the early evening (still have some photos somewhere of them rehearsing) midday though on the odd ocassion there was some good soul music played.......I worked in the TV/Radio Dept. adjacent to Barbara Castle who was just down the corridor
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network