Sunday outside Browns

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 21 September 2008 6.27pm
Hi, does anyone know what happened outside Browns early this morning. I was crossing the footbridge and the police had cordoned it off? I know some incident had happened? A helicopter was hovering around 9am.
Sunday 21 September 2008 7.01pm
I heard from a Design Museum employee that someone jumped. There's a broken glass awning above Browns and part of the Brown's outside terrace is closed.
Sunday 21 September 2008 7.10pm
That's dreadful. I was having breakfast there on Saturday morning. Very sad indeed.
Sunday 21 September 2008 8.05pm
I think it all started at around 8am. I saw an ambulance pull up in front of Tea Trade Wharf and the crew run in, only to run out a moment later, jump back into their vehicle and drive around the corner. Moments later the police turned up. Air helicopter landed somewhere - on top of Tea Trade Wharf I think and remained there for about half an hour. The whole area was cordoned off by the police.

Wasn't too sure if there was a siege or something as there were heavy-duty police at the scene but I've now heard (whether this is true or not) that a young man jumped from the seventh floor of Tea Trade.

It must have been a pretty dreadful scene as both police and ambulance crews were seen crying and comforting each other on Shad Thames.
Sunday 21 September 2008 9.09pm
...awful and so sad...and now there's a police helicopter shining a light on the rooftops of the buildings on the Thames. Does anyone know what's going on tonight?
Sunday 21 September 2008 9.10pm
Hi there has been a search helicopter hovering around for the last half hour where the incident happened this morning - must be a lot more to it? Nothing has been reported on the news?
Monday 22 September 2008 3.52pm
I live in Tea Trade Wharf and had a quick chat with one of the Policemen there in the morning - he confirmed that someone had fallen from one of the top flats. The incident was attended by a number of Police & the Air Ambulance which landed on top of the Gainsford St car park. Haven't heard anything since but there was nothing going on later in the day which would need a helicopter.....when I looked out of the window at 10ish it was hovering up near Tower Bridge with the spotlight on.

Quite a sad topic for my first post unfortunately.
Monday 22 September 2008 5.10pm
My self and the wife live on the back of Butlers wharf and heard the helicopters, feel guilty now that we were complaining to each other about the sound disterbunce.I heard from a porter this morning that a young man comming back in from a night out on saturday tried to jump from one balcony to an other with tragic consequences from the sixth floor. I dont know if this true or not. All i can say is our deapest condolences go out to the poor family.What a call to take on a bright sunday morning!
Tuesday 23 September 2008 7.27pm
My boyfriend and I live one the 3rd floor of Tea Trade Wharf just above Browns. Indeed, at 8am on Sunday I woke up by a loud scream immediately followed by a crushing sound. Terrified by the sound, I got up and ran to the window to see what that was. I didn't see anything from the bedroom window but as my heart was still racing after the 'wake up' call I went to the living room and onto the balcony to check things again. It was a beautiful, peaceful morning and I didn't see anything unusual until I looked down below the balcony and I saw this young guy (perhaps in his late 20s, early 30s) lying unconscious onto Browns platform (where the tables ordinarily are) among shredded glass. I rushed back screaming thereby waking up my partner and I called 999 immediately. Just as I finished the call to 999, the guys' mates ran out to him and started asking him to say something. Just about then police and paramedics/doctors came as well. Very soon after that a helicopter appeared. The doctors tried to resuscitate the guy. It was shocking and extremely sad! I am impressed by the almost instantaneous reaction of the emergency services, I think that they could not have appeared on the scene any quicker. My deepest condolences to the guy's family and friends.
Friday 26 September 2008 2.39pm
There is now a touching tribute from Damien and Emma to Dave (the young man who died) attached to the railings, together with some flowers, by the river in front of Browns

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: