Local food shops near Bermondsey Street?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 21 September 2008 11.43pm
Hello all,
Just about to move to the area from Edinburgh in the middle of October (provided we can find somewhere to live!). Really love the feel of Bermondsey St and the immediate area so hopefully we'll find a place there.

One question for locals though, obviously there are a good few nice bars and the like, but I haven't yet found any nice green grocers, butchers or fishmongers...so where do you lot buy your food presuming you can't afford to shop at Borough market every week! ;)

Thanks for any tips,
Monday 22 September 2008 8.49am
The supermarket!

Actually, there is a good butcher on Great Suffolk Street.
Monday 22 September 2008 9.01am
Hi phraze, I might have a place to rent, just off Bermondsey St.
Monday 22 September 2008 12.32pm
Great Suffolk St butcher is super. Fish and fruit and veg. from East St. shops/market. Good greengrocer stall outside one of the shops where Bermondsey St. meets Tower Bridge Rd. Deli type meats from the deli at the corner of Wilds Rents. And fruit and veg. can actually be very cheap at Borough market - especially if in season, and if you buy towards the end of the day. Hope you find a place you like to live. :)
Monday 22 September 2008 1.12pm
I'd second that - Suffolk meats on Gt.Suffolk Street is superb. You can park there on a Saturday and the husband and wife team are brilliant. They will order you in anything, like a large roast if you're having friends over etc. They also make fantastic sausages on site, which I buy in bulk and freeze. I'd say that they are 20-50% cheaper than the butchers in Borough market, which are great (they serve a purpose) but not good for every day meats.

I get my fish up in Pimlico (la de da) as my mate is a fishmonger there - stall on Tatchbrook Street, which is superb and it's all fresh from Billingsgate every day(Thurs to Sat he does the stall).
Monday 22 September 2008 5.10pm
There is also a well stoacked supermarket by the lights in Southwark Park Road. Excellent veg, bread, and some meat. I think it is Turkish run. Great for all Med type foods.
Monday 22 September 2008 11.43pm
thanks everyone, i'll be sure to check everywhere out when we move!

next up have to find a scottish pub to watch the footie in... ;)
Tuesday 23 September 2008 10.46am
Oh and, (for those occasions when meat, fruit and veg just don't do it) great pastries in a place called That Polish Shop on the New Kent Road just past the Bricklayers Arms roundabout.
Tuesday 23 September 2008 12.22pm
Don't want to hijack the thread away from food (mmmm, food!) but I was curious and Googled for Scottish pubs to watch football in and it seems like there used to be one right on Bermondsey Street, too bad! This info is a year old, but might point you in the right direction somehow, and also gets honorable mention for containing the sentence "Pick the wrong Cock, and you could be in trouble."

Go Hibs!
Tuesday 23 September 2008 2.43pm
is the fish place near charles dickens still open? like a factory.cant think of name of street runs into great suffolk street, near the town house pub? 2 mins from butchers!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: