WW2 bombsites near Bricklayers Arms

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
vonnie Tuesday 23 September 2008 8.17am
Hi there, I used to live near the Bricklayers Arms Pub in the 50s and I can remember playing on a bombsite on the New Kent Rd it was right beside a Girls School and just down a bit from the Library which was on the corner of New & Old Kent Rds does anyone remember it and know what it used to be? Also on the Old Kent rd was another bombsite, which was beside a Bakery (which had the best cream horns I have ever tasted) it was just down the road from 29 Old kent Rd which was a shoe menders and then a model shop and I used to live in the house aboveAs a child I always wondered what these sites had been so hopefully someone can tell me.Thanks
Jan the old one Tuesday 23 September 2008 8.33am
Veronica?
VKingston Monday 29 September 2008 6.01pm
There's a book called the LCC London Bomb Maps which shows all the bombed areas of London. Probably available in the library.
Jan the old one Tuesday 30 September 2008 6.58am
I could murder a cream horn right now, delicious flaky pastry, sprinkled lightly with caster sugar, jam at the bottom of the horn then cream...mumm..Vonnie in a few weeks I will have plenty of time on my hands and will toddle off to the library and have a look for that book that Vkingston mentions...:-)
dee dee Tuesday 30 September 2008 7.27am
Has John Harvard shut now? what libraries are near now??
slushy Tuesday 30 September 2008 9.55pm
J harvard closed for refurb. Prolly the next nearest is walworth rd. Altho if u need to renew a book I was told this could be done online or via telephone.
Neil Bright Wednesday 1 October 2008 10.01pm
Local Archive library is temporarily moving to Peckham Library for a few months. Check out Southwark Council website for details

They don't have a copy of the bombsite book, but I do. I got the last copy I believe as only a few were published

It was 50 new, but I believe it is selling for four times that second hand

I am happy to help out also I have a database of all incidents in Bermondsey, Southwark and Camberwell
vonnie Thursday 2 October 2008 2.52am
Thanks to everyone that replied to my query re Bombsites near WW2 Bricklayers Arms unfortuantly I live in NZ so cant pop down to the Libraries however your answers have me some ideas on where to look online and if Jan (hi again Jan) gets the chance to pop into the library for me that will be great. I have a great love for that area and have downloaded quite a bit of info plus pictures but the bombsites eluded me so thanks again everyone. vonnie
maurits Thursday 2 October 2008 5.14pm
Vonnie- look out on here for The Lady Miss Jo Jo. She is a regular poster, former Se1-er and now lives in NZ. Maybe you are neighbours- you never know.
vonnie Thursday 2 October 2008 5.21pm
maurits wrote:
Vonnie- look out on here for The Lady Miss Jo Jo. She is a regular poster, former Se1-er and now lives in NZ. Maybe you are neighbours- you never know.

Thanks maurits, if miss Jo Jo sees this I hope she gets in contact. Vonnie
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions