Seeking site for bee hive

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 23 September 2008 7.31pm
I have just moved into the vicinity of the Imperial War Museum and am looking for a local site for my bee hive along with its community of friendly and productive bees. A secure garden or accessible roof top would be ideal and assistance with looking after the bees would be appreciated (though not imperative), either from an experienced beekeeper or an enthusiastic beginner. Please contact me through this post if you are interested and would like more information.
Tuesday 23 September 2008 8.13pm
Hi Kath - am I reading this right?

Sorry for my naivety - please take this as genuine interest and I hope you can educate me.

You want to introduce a bee hive containing (I suppose) several 10s of thousands of individual bees to a residential area? Are you sure there are enough pollinating flowers in your new inner city area? will your neighbours have to keep their windows closed?

Honest, I am not winding you up - but am interested as to how a bee hive will integrate into SE1
Tuesday 23 September 2008 8.48pm
Contact David at www.rootsandshoots.org.uk in Walnut Tree Walk, luckily enough not far from the IWM . They have beehives in their wildlife garden and may be able to accommodate yours or help with housing it. I think they are a member of the British Beekeepers society (if that's the correct organisation?)
Tuesday 23 September 2008 9.01pm
Sorry, it's called the London Beekeepers Association and they have their base at Roots & Shoots, AGM on 12th November!

BSB you could pop along and learn a little more about mis-behiving?
Tuesday 23 September 2008 9.25pm
Hi Boss St Bloke,

The hive is currently located in central London. Its honey production is well up on the national average and the bees haven't worried any neighbours.

Inner city honey is thought to be extra good due to the variety of different pollen sources. Our bees have a particular liking to Lime tree pollen which gives the honey a slightly minty flavour.

Honey bees are hard workers and tend to go straight to the pollen source, they don't usually waste time bumbling around in peoples houses.

There are many hives in the area including one on the roof of The Royal Festival Hall, others in Roots and Shoots Wildlife Garden (off Kennington Road), Walworth Garden Farm, the roof of Fortnum and Mason, and several private gardens, roof terraces and balconies.

The current health problems of the honey bee are well documented and its important that we support this important and fascinating insect.
Wednesday 24 September 2008 6.30am
Not so close to you but the Corporation of London flats directly behind Tate Modern have accessable roofs, but you would need to approach them obviously. I live on the Peabody estate next door and would certainly have an interest in learning more about beekeeping.
Wednesday 24 September 2008 6.51am
Where are Roots and Shoots located? and do they sell honey!
Wednesday 24 September 2008 7.31am
They are on Walnut Tree Walk, off Kennington Road/Lambeth Walk.

Outside the spring season their shop is open 13:30-16:00 Monday to Friday - and their website says they sell honey as well as other things

They are having two Apple Day celebrations, next is on 12th October

http://www.rootsandshoots.org.uk/news/30/76.php
Wednesday 24 September 2008 9.15am
What sort of looking after do they require? Walking, cleaning out, feeding...???? (The mind boggles!)
Wednesday 24 September 2008 9.36am
There was a London Beekeepers Association stall on Potters' Fields during the Thames Festival. My brother spent ages talking to them, as he is interested in learning more, and getting a hive.

There are several rooftop hives in Hackney, and also at several of the City Farms around London.

Good luck with this.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: