Moths?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Saturday 27 September 2008 2.49pm
I live just off of Borough High St and I've noticed the occasional moth around my flat. I was spring cleaning today and when I was vacuuming under my bed and noticed more moths, plus small holes in the carpet, tiny eggs and worst of all... lavae. Has anyone had this problem before? Can I treat it myself or do I need to get Rentokil in? Plus, as I live in flats, presumably, I'm not the only one with them in? Will I keep getting reinfected?
Any advice much appreciated, I'm slightly grossed out by it all.
Saturday 27 September 2008 3.42pm
There's information about prevention and cure of textile moth infestation on this site
http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/ Though, as with all stuff about infestation, you have to keep calm and not get spooked by the scary pictures. Might be worth noting that, in general, American sites seem to go for fairly aggressive treatment, whereas the UK ones are less hyper.

We had moths once and got rid of them over a few weeks by a lot of hoovering, letting in air and sunlight, dry-cleaning, washing jumpers in hot, soapy water and then going back and hoovering again and again.

It depends on how bad your your attack is (note: not using the infestation word here again: words can be as spooky as pictures.) It may be that it's not confined to your flat because moths can breed in roofspaces and under floorboards. Ours didn't.

One piece of advice we were given was not to buy into a contract if you do call in the professionals. If the problem is local, once it's solved it shouldn't happen again - provided you make sure you're not continuing to offer a moth-attractive environment.

Huge sympathy with the grossed-out thing, by the way. Keep telling yourself they're not life-threatening, they don't even bite and they won't jump out at you.
Saturday 27 September 2008 4.48pm
Once your main invasion has been dealt with, Colibri make a natural moth repellant range of sachets containing "Tea tree and other botanical essences such as vetiver, peppermint, lemongrass and others"
John Lewis sell them and they seem to work for me.....
Saturday 27 September 2008 4.50pm
I have some jolly good sticky things which trap the moths, (dont have more than the occasional one). To get the moths out of your clothes put them out in the sun.
Saturday 27 September 2008 4.50pm
..P.S. You can also get cedar wood blocks which you can sand down to release more scent when they get tired. (the blocks, not the moths) ;0)
Saturday 27 September 2008 5.02pm
I sympathise, I had these little buggers two years running and they start to take over your life. You are forever looking for movement in your peripheral vision, the slightest speck of dust has you snapping your head round, hands raised to flatten the menace against a wall and in the process slowly ruining them with little smudges.

I traced them back to a carpet that I foolishly picked up on my estate. In the second year of their lifecycle, following the winter I hoovered like crazy and continued to kill the beasts as and when I saw them. Touch wood, I seem to have won this particular war as I've not seen any this year.

How something so small and so pathetic (they don't even have the decency to look dead, they just become dust!) can cause so much mental anguish... Nature, I applaude your myriad ways of irritating humanity.
Sunday 28 September 2008 4.50pm
Thanks for all your suggestions and sympathy guys... really useful.
Sunday 28 September 2008 9.58pm
I had a bad problem with them a few years back, eating through lots of my clothes (always the most expensive ones first - impeccable taste those moths). (I tried to buy mothballs at the market on Lower Marsh, but the stall-holder and another customer found my request highly amusing.)

Eventually, whilst hoovering under the bed I noticed big chunks of carpet coming up. So I hoovered and hoovered until no more carpet came up, and that was the end of it. (And shortly after decided I wanted wooden floors anyway).

So hopefully finding the carpet infestation will be the beginning of the end of it for you.
Monday 29 September 2008 6.20am
Moths always loved a bit 'o wool..my old nylon carpets remain intact in my tatty old bedroom!
Monday 29 September 2008 6.40am
I'd be a little wary of moth balls as apart from being toxic to moths they don't do humans any favours either.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: