Tate Tower facilities...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 17 December 2003 11.16am
I realise the Tate Tower is a very sore point for lots of SE1ers - I appreciate if you live in the rather excellent looking Bankside Lofts, you're gonna be pretty narked to find a 20-odd storey office block (which will be the only glass building amongst brick buildings in the neighbourhood) on your doorstep. However, I quite like the idea of the 3 floors of shopping, bars and restaurants near where I work - especially if it means there'll be useful shops like Boots, Clintons Cards etc. that I can get to without hopping on the tube.

However, I notice that the property developer's website is devoid of any mention of the project. Anyone got any inside info on it?

...and I hope no-one will end up telling me that these 3 floors will end up being mostly Prada/Burberry/Morgan type shops and that we'll be flooded with fashion conscious DINKYs...

bod
Wednesday 17 December 2003 3.03pm
it's quite hard to pre-let commercial space for a building that doesn't have planning permission.

re: london town web-site info, it's a sore point with them as you'll appreciate. they did advertise the penthouse through the sunday times propery supplement for £10.75m if i remember rightly, but i doubt it sold due to the above. probably kept the bankers happy though.

i hope for more Starbucks there if it's built. it's a travesty they haven't been able to secure a site in borough market yet....
Wednesday 17 December 2003 3.23pm
Bod

If you're looking for a Starbucks , then there's one right next door to where the proposed Tower will be - just a couple of doors down from the Powerstation Café. I think another in the Tower would create a record for the two Starbucks closest together!
Wednesday 17 December 2003 3.51pm
There is Tarbucks on Clink Street and to give them there due, early this morning, when all the other cafes in the market were not yet open, Tarbucks were.

gggggrrrrrruuff
Wednesday 17 December 2003 4.46pm
Hmmm.... I hope I don't smell trolls operating on this bulletin board on behalf of "evil, monopolising corporations" (C) Austen Powers

For a rare example of Starbucks climbing down in the face of local protest:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/globalisation/story/0,7369,726885,00.html
bod
Wednesday 17 December 2003 4.57pm
the more Starbucks in se1 the better: the area hasn't been sanitized enough yet.
even trolls need coffee.
Wednesday 17 December 2003 5.17pm
bod,

if you trolls have need for GOOD coffee, dare I suggest you try Monmouth on the corner of Park St opposite the new Floral Hall addition to the market. It doesn't have the comfy armchairs but thats probably why the prices are more reasonable. They use great ingredients and the end product is streets better than any of the chains you are wishing upon us. An area doesn't have to be 'sanitized' to get decent coffee.
bod
Wednesday 17 December 2003 5.25pm
sorry to mislead everyone - i was JOKING and attempting irony, which i will ceae before being black listed form the forum.
i am a regular patron at monmouth and support it at every opportunity over the chains.
fortunately Starbucks seem to have pulled back on acquisitions in the area for the time-being - their last year results showed it was only making a profit in USA which may explain their slower expansion these days.
Wednesday 17 December 2003 5.48pm
Now, nobody would rant and rage more than I against the rampant spread of McDonalds, Starbucks and high street chains at the expense of proper shops.

But, at some point over the last decade or so, it has however become possible to get decent coffee anywhere you like, instead of instant. How has this come about? Has Starbucks educated us into drinking decent coffee, or has the proliferation of decent coffee drinking habits allowed for Starbucks ' expanding into a hitherto untapped market?

Discuss.
Wednesday 17 December 2003 6.09pm
For those in favour of a decent cup of coffee but not a fan of Starbucks , I heard good news the other day: there will be an espresso bar/art gallery on Tower Bridge Road, just opposite The Hartley. I spoke to one of the owners when he was hanging the signboard outside. It's called SoBo.

Post edited (17 Dec 03 19:09)
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: