Southwark council benchmarked

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 18 December 2003 12.51pm
The Guardian today lists a 'scorecard' for each local authority.

Southwark seems to get a close-to-maximum rating for most things apart from 'environment' (their title)

see more at

http://society.guardian.co.uk/bestvalue/story/0,8150,1108147,00.html
Thursday 18 December 2003 1.12pm
3 for libraries and leisure? That seems a little high, given that I haven't noticed many leisure facilities since I started working in the area - I'm sure if we're counting the RFH, the London Eye and the IMAX, then they may be right - but what about affordable leisure facilities for non-tourists and low income earners? Are they hidden away somewhere?
Thursday 18 December 2003 1.29pm
The three attactions you have just mentioned are all in Lambeth...
Thursday 18 December 2003 1.48pm

Hey we did much better than Lambeth - "tthhummppbbb" (raspberry noise) boo sucks to you...

Southwark is great (well, it isn't but is is marginally better than last year, when it was officially weak, now it is better, which isn't to say good as - it is still isn't even close to good but still not as awful as last year (ish)). (faint cheering).
Thursday 18 December 2003 4.34pm
I think it is a pretty good score: the (new) council only got elected last year and they should be given some time in order to demonstrate that they can deliver. But given the fact that roughly 80% of the budget is spent on housing and education the results seem to be encouraging.

In tube today I was given a handout of morelondon.com where they announced refurbishment of Tooley Street. It was remarkable that nothing has been done for cyclists, or at least it wasn't mentioned-- hope the council will do more to stimulate cycling...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: