Burgess Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 1 October 2008 10.15pm
Does anyone know what's being filmed in Burgess Park at the moment? I've seen Movie/TV vans there before but this is on another scale!
Thursday 2 October 2008 10.04am
The new series of "Ashes to Ashes" is being filmed in and around the local area....!!!
Thursday 2 October 2008 6.25pm
Oh is that what's going on!
If you need a policeman they are all hanging out looking after the film crews.
Friday 3 October 2008 1.21pm
Yes, the little red signs on the fence around the Addington Square end of the park state that it's "Ashes to Ashes".

Are they using other parts of the park too, then? (That's the only area I've been past/through this week.)
Friday 3 October 2008 9.49pm
There are loads of vans parked by the new football pitch/changing rooms....

never heard of 'ashes to ashes' before...will have to look out for it in the future.....
Thursday 27 November 2008 5.20pm
Burgess Park is Southwark Council's nomination for the 2 million award for a major London park to be decided by Boris Johnson in consultation with a team of experts.

I hope that everyone in Southwark will do what they can to let Boris know how much Burgess Park would benefit from this huge investment.

His contact details are available at:

This is really an excellent opportunity to transform Burgess Park into an amazing place and wonderful local resource.

For so many years, Burgess Park has not fulfilled its potential. Let's hope that starting in 2009 this will begin to change.
Friday 28 November 2008 1.33am
Agreed, Burgess Park seriously needs transforming. It was the last big park by the GLC but the scale was way too big for the budget. Chumleigh Gardens is nice and there is the occasional nice spot in the park but on the whole it's such a desolate, uninspiring place.
Saturday 29 November 2008 9.47am
I think we should do everything we can to get some of the money for Southwark, I'm going to email everyone I can to get them to vote.

However I was disappointed that Mary Harmsworth wasn't one of the parks we could vote for, as it needs some money spent on it.
Thursday 8 January 2009 12.08pm
An interesting blog post by Cllr James Barber:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 8 January 2009 8.57pm
Since Cllr Barber chose not to add my comment on his 'blog' I'll repeat it here! ;-p

Cllr Barber suggested that Burgess Park be made a Royal Park so I informed him that I wrote to Prince Charles two years ago to ask that he consider such an idea.

Unfortunately I got a very brief letter back saying that as it would require an Act of Parliament he was not prepared to consider it. I did highlight the fact that it was very damaging for the monarchy that all of the city's Royal Parks are in some of London's most exclusive postcodes, but he was unmoved. Instead I got passed on to the CEO of the Royal Parks Agency who offered a couple of days of a member of his team's time to help the Council's parks department identify other funding! :-S

I'm not convinced that royal patronage would be good for the park now, i only suggested it for the prospect of extra investment and now the Council may get it elsewhere from the Mayor. It's a deserving case and the money would really help a park that is important to the whole of the borough.

Burgess Park had been due to get millions of pounds in improvement work as part of the Cross River Tram scheme, so now thats in doubt, this would be a timely boost for its future....fingers crossed that Boris delivers on this one!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: