Sixth form education in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 3 October 2008 8.01pm
I'm currently mentoring a GCSE student at the Harris Academy and she is keen to go to sixth form next year to study A-levels (and then on to university). Since Harris doesn't currently have a sixth form -- there are plans for one, but it's won't be full service next year -- does anybody have any recommendations for sixth form schools/colleges in SE1/Southwark?

Have Googled, but not really found any local places and I think minimising travel time/costs would be optimal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Saturday 4 October 2008 12.17am
Try the Sixth form at St Saviour's and St Olave's. It's just up the road at Bricklayers Arms. I'll admit a connection here, I went to SSSO years ago. For a while during the 80s they didn't have a 6th form, but the current headmistress reinstated it and I hear good things about it.

It's a bit sad that Harris Academy, for all the money that's been put into that school, with new buildings and whatnot doesn't have a 6th form of its own. You'd think Lord Harris of Carpets could have afforded one.
Jac
Saturday 4 October 2008 1.48pm
I do not know of any 6th forms colleges in SE1 but looked at 6th form last year. Our school gave out a list of 6th forms so it would be worth asking the school for information. There is a very good catholic 6th form college in lewisham, Christ the king but there is no priority given to catholics at this level although there is priority to their feeder schools which are catholic. Well worth a look their results are excellent. The journey is fairly easy from london bridge and under 18s in full time eductation qualify for 1/2 price travel. Not sure if it can be done on the bus but if possible would be free. Pimlico school has a 6th from and could be reached by bus and we opted for richmond on thames college which is surprisingly easy to get to (less than 20 mins on the train from waterloo but again there would be transport costs about 20 a week). And i know of one child on our local estate that goes to Croydon again easy from london bridge. I think Bacons in rotherhithe have a 6th form too. Sorry cant be more helpful there is a large choice but not necessarily local.
Jac
Sunday 5 October 2008 2.27pm
Just seen add in Southwark news. The City of London Academy -lynton rd se1 have a 6th form. Places available for those expecting to get at least 5 a-c grades Gcses. Open days 7th and 9th oct 5-7pm. www.cityacademy.co.uk
Monday 6 October 2008 8.44am
Southwark college also do A levels
Wednesday 8 October 2008 11.04am
Thanks all.
Wednesday 8 October 2008 1.34pm
London Nautical (off Stamford Street) accept girls in their 6th form

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: