Sorry - where exactly is this air raid sign?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 7 October 2008 8.50pm
Sorry to be ignorant but I was told that the Neckinger estate still has a sign saying "To the shelters"
Well, I've had a good look and I can't find it!
Any ideas?
Thank you!!
Wednesday 8 October 2008 6.23pm
Hi Nell

the signs you are after are on the older part of the estate in Neckinger (Abbey Street end). There are three signs which just say "shelter." You may need to stand on tip-toe as the hedge may mask them

there are also shelter signs on the LCC blocks in Druid Street, Crosby Row, the Kipling estate, Tower Bridge Road

There is evidence of a shelter entrance on the Dhonau Estate

If forum members know of others I would love to hear

Wednesday 8 October 2008 9.06pm
At the top of Jerningham Road in New Cross/Telegraph Hill there is a large white S and an arrow painted on the wall that surrounds the reserviour. It is getting rather faded now and passers-by rarely give it a glance.
Wednesday 8 October 2008 11.05pm
Thanks Karen
I will be along to photograph that. That's another one for my archive

kind regards
Thursday 9 October 2008 10.24am
as a child we used to play and hang out in the shelter's OF ARNOLD ESTATE AND PARK making camps lol
Friday 10 October 2008 3.16pm
Thank you for all the information! Is there any sign of the shelters on the arnold estate now?
What were they like inside? I kind of imagine they would just be cellars.
Thursday 23 October 2008 5.11am
a bit morbid, but if you go to The Cut by the junction of Greet street . Just on the wall of the New Vic at that junction is a plaque in memoriam of the bomb shelter that was at that location that took a direct hit during the war and a large number of people were killed.
Thursday 23 October 2008 7.39am
There were bomb shelters in Tabard park, on the open space nearest the play area.
The council just sheared off the top and bulldozed the rubble in. If southwark wanted to they could excavate one and show them to children as social history.
Thursday 23 October 2008 9.40am
My mother came to the Festival of Britain in 1951 on a school trip. They spent the night in the deep shelters in Kennington(?) tube station. Can you imagine a school trip like that these days...
Friday 24 October 2008 2.24pm
A school staying the night in Kennington deep level shelters for educational purposes! Your lucky Mother.
Now they have educational trips to Tesco, so things have improved no end...
I was delighted to see the signs, and took lots of pictures naturally... but couldn't imagine where the shelters would actually BE. Were they in the middle of the estates?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: