Leathermarket Court security (bike stolen)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 8 October 2008 8.43am
Moved into Leathermarket Court only a month ago and have already (this morning) found my bike has been stolen. Was surprised on moving into the property that this "gated community" was in fact open to the public, with no locks on pedestrian access.

Have any others had similar experiences and are there any plans to increase security?
Wednesday 8 October 2008 10.26am
Another gated community in SE1... I should buy shares in barbed wire manufacturers.

If it is open to the public it is probably a stipulation of the planning permission it was built under and thus cannot easily be altered. Common sense would suggest that otherwise the developer would almost certainly have made it gated as they can make more money that way - playing on people's fears.
Wednesday 8 October 2008 7.13pm
The last time I had a bike stolen it was locked with a proper d-lock to a bike rack in the supposedly secure car park under our flats. I locked it up all over London and never had a problem. Its always traumatic when this happens so I walked/busd for a few months but then decided to get another one and I now keep it on a stand in the hall of my flat and use it every day.

Dont get the thieving b*****ds get you down housty. Buy another bike, keep it inside your flat and use a good d-lock connected to a cable to protect you front wheel and you will be fine.
Wednesday 8 October 2008 7.27pm
After what happened to the last thread regarding a bike stolen from Leathermarket Court it is probably prudent that no-one mentions leaking overflow pipes ;-)
Thursday 9 October 2008 6.17am
smoggy wrote:
After what happened to the last thread regarding a bike stolen from Leathermarket Court it is probably prudent that no-one mentions leaking overflow pipes ;-)

Hear hear!! :-))
Thursday 9 October 2008 8.27am
Or buy a folding bike and keep it in your flat!
Monday 13 October 2008 11.43am
everything you ever wanted to know about folders
(..and taking bikes on trains)

http://www.atob.org.uk/sitemap.htm
Monday 13 October 2008 4.26pm
Cheers guys.

Living on the third floor makes the prospect of storing a bike in my flat a little tricky but I'm sure I'll get round to getting a new one soon. Pretty gutting that there are so many dishonest people out there but just a fact of life we all have to deal with. Real shame we can't get some extra security at the external gates but there we go.
Tuesday 14 October 2008 4.07pm
....drip.....drip.......drip.......:P
Tuesday 14 October 2008 4.14pm
3rd floor? Perfect! What about a pulley system that hangs your bike from the outside of your flat? Could be accessible from a big window or juliette balcony and the ground.

Admittedly a design flaw is that you'd need two people to operate - one from the ground and one in the flat - but I'm open to suggestions. Perhaps a well-trained pet?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: