Looking for a telephone engineer

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 13 October 2008 7.57am
Does anyone know of a decent telephone engineer, preferably ex-BT or an electrician who can sort out a telephone line? We've got an ongoing problem with a crackly line and think the wiring might be loose but BT won't touch it, not their responsibility apparently. Thanks.
Monday 13 October 2008 12.51pm
I will follow this thread too as our phone line sounds very clear to me, but people on the other end constantly complain that it is a really bad line. Could it be the phone itself, or the line? I don't know but an engineer might!
Monday 13 October 2008 2.37pm
Who do you rent your line from?
Tuesday 14 October 2008 3.18pm
Julie, exact same problem here. Tried different handsets and BT have checked line but issue continues. Might have found someone to look at it - will keep you posted.

Jan, it's BT but if they do a line test remotely and they reckon the line is ok, they won't do any more to fix it.
Tuesday 14 October 2008 4.10pm
But if you speak to someone at BT, shouldn't they notice it's a really bad line?
Tuesday 14 October 2008 5.34pm
My mum has the same problem, but she lives in Essex. BT want 150 deposit to come out and check the line, and a refund will be given if its their fault, if its not 150 for a call out.
Tuesday 14 October 2008 7.00pm
When the BT man comes around, he will want to find out if the fault lies with BT's equipment or yours. If the fault is with your equipment, BT will pocket the 150. If the fault is in BT's equipment, they will fix it.

However, before the BT man shows up, you can do the test yourself that he is going to do anyway.

This will involve removing 2 screws from the BT socket on your wall. So, if you are not happy doing that, then read no further. Also, I am not responsible for anything you do - I am just informing you what I know, have done myself, and have read.

To begin, your BT phone socket must look like this...

If it does, then you can do the test. If it does not you can't.

Basically, there is a hidden BT test socket inside the white box. You can get to it by removing the 2 screws. You then simply plug your phone, and only your phone, directly into the test socket - using no extension leads.

If the crackle has gone away, then the fault lies with your equipment.

If the crackle is still there, try another phone or borrow one from a neighbour. If the crackle is there with both phones, the fault is definitely BT's.

Mr BT man will do this check first to see whose equipment is to blame.

This page describes what I have explained above, but from a "bad broadband connection" viewpoint (may be useful for folks with a bad broadband connection). The principle is the same, and the section "The test socket" explains what I have described.

Again, please don't touch anything if you are not happy to do so, and I am not responsible for anything - just trying to save you 150.

BsB
Tuesday 14 October 2008 7.23pm
reece - I think the BT Call Centre reads from a script and doesn't 'notice' anything - numerous phone calls via an incredibly crackly line and they kept saying there was nothing wrong!

BSB - blimey, thanks for the very detailed help. I'm going to keep that for future use, very helpful.

However, in the meantime, we tried Yellow Pages - most quotes were in the region of 25 callout, 80 for the first hour, 40 per socket and so on, which could easily take you past BT's charges. However, we found a great guy who did it for a fraction of that cost and it's all fixed. Four sockets, all with different issues, one with loose wiring - one not working at all, one not fitted with a filter and one wired for a different phone number.

His name is John and he's on 07905 319581.
Tuesday 14 October 2008 8.07pm
try Richard on
G
Wednesday 15 October 2008 10.49am
To save 150..I'd get the screwdriver out..to save having a day off i'd dismantle the flipping exchange!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: