Safety at Barclays cashpoint - Tower Bridge Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Yaz
Friday 22 February 2002 12.41pm
Last night, while I was taking cash out at the Barclays cashpoint on the corner of Grange Road and Tower Bridge, two guys grabbed my PC laptop from me and ran off. I was lucky they didn't injure me. They police was informed and suggested I speak to Barclays to see if they had any video evidence. When I spoke to Barclays today, they basically laughed at me saying there was nothing they could do. I think this is outrageous! They did not even offer to help. If Barclays want to offer services to their customers,they should provide at least minimum security and show some concern. We need better lighting in this area and video cameras for deterrance.

Has anyone else been robbed while using this cashpoint?

Do you know what I can do to change this? Does the council have to be contacted to improve lighting in this area?
Nat
Friday 22 February 2002 3.00pm
I'm really sorry to hear that. I often walk around with my laptop and have been worried. I've seen it eyed several times and I've stopped carrying it in an identifiable bag and taken some other measures. Street crime seems to be out of control here, I have heard about and seen people being mugged frequently.

Sounds like the Barclays branch are a bunch of unsympathetic plonkers. I'd boycott them and get in touch with someone senior at their headoffice and report the branches attitude and refusal to cooperate, its not acceptable.
Dav
Monday 25 February 2002 10.03am
Sorry to hear about you getting mugged - I live a few streets away and it is a constant worry for the area, particularly when carrying a laptop etc (e.g. try the subways under the Bricklayers Arms flyover - dont feel safe even in daylight). Not sure what could be done, but certainly better lighting etc would help.

As it happens I actually work for Barclays in a different part of the bank, not sure who in head office deal with this area but will pass on all comments on the matter / any other incidents there and also see what can actually be done re security. What is not acceptable is for staff to dismiss this in the way it sounds as if it has been done (was it the actual staff within that branch?)
yaz
Monday 25 February 2002 12.26pm
Thanks Dav.
Would be great if you could have a word with Barclays.

The manager of the branch has not called me back and the staff at this branch were far from helpful - considering I have been a Barclays customer for over 10 years.
I called the main Barclays helpline and was told I should try to complain to the local area manager as the branch manager is not responding.
Tuesday 26 February 2002 1.29pm
i would have thought that the constant road works outside dont help either, as all that fencing blocks the cashpoint from view from the main road. but in these times i thought cameras were standards in these sort of locations. at least you story makes others more aware.
Friday 1 March 2002 4.22pm
Try the local councillor - Alom Shaha, he is quite good at getting things done around the Tower Bridge Road area.

His email is alom1@hotmail.com

Did anyone read the comments that the negative effect on street crime that such gangsta bands as so solid crew are having on the area?
Jan
Sunday 3 March 2002 7.28am
Nats right about not having particular items on show, it makes sense to conceal what muggers would get a good price for. We dont live in a perfect world where people should be able to wear and carry what they want with impunity without being relieved of the onerous burden of carrying a laptop or mobile phone!
This area despite what Nat may think is one of the safdest in South East London, he should thank God he does not live in Peckham, Kennington, Brixton .

Or the North Peckham Estate, the Aylesbury estate, two more examples of the planners pulling down communities , and architects more interested in gaining awards . When the Aylesbury was built ( 1970ish) it was proudly announced that you never even had to walk along streets any more, as the streets were in the sky!

They even had milk floats trundling along the walkways, that stopped after the milkmen kept getting robbed and mugged!

Crikey I'm on my soapbox again! sorry.....
Monday 4 March 2002 6.48pm
Your right Jan. Friends of mine lived there (now escaped thankfully) and it was a muggers and smack heads paradise. The only award the planner should get is a free tenancy.
Taka
Tuesday 5 March 2002 12.30pm
We have to take steps to protect ourselves as Nat said and we need more involvement of communities and local authorities (Planning, Highways etc) as Jan said.

We have a bunch of disaffected and disconnected young people with an absence of conscience and any responsibility whatsoever running around repetitiously committing crime. I can't see this changing in the near future. We have a police force with limited resources to deal with the day to day crime that affects our quality of life and peace of mind, therefore not providing a deterrent and maybe realistically never will. Judges that often adopt an inappropriately liberal view too much of the time, which probably determines what the police see it worthwhile pursuing. Throw in fragmented communities, transient population, and general inertia and apathy and the ingredients are there. It is not as simple as this but these are some key issues.

There is no excuse for inadequate lighting and not having CCTV in hot spots although admittedly this is not our saviour.

Developers are reaping the rewards of growth of a community without having to take any further responsibility than erecting a building. Planning is failing to enforce consideration of community, infrastructure and safety concerns in build and use of land. We end up with isolated and decontextualised buildings without any change or consideration given to the surrounding area or needs of residents. I am aware of some instances where developers haven't even provided adequate measures and resources to even service their own buildings/residents let alone anything additional.

I don't have answers, but it seems like some realistic and intelligent thought is required, the responsibility for which should be collectively shouldered. Times have changed and paying our taxes is not enough anymore. My area could certainly benefit from some community or residents active and inventive involvement. I have observed communities outside of London, who do not suffer much crime, taking more measures than a lot of us do.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: