Charities that collect stuff

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Victor Saturday 27 December 2003 11.05pm
Does anyone know if there are local charities that will come to your home to collect stuff you want to donate? I live in Bermondsey Street area. Thanks.

Advertisement

Hilary Sunday 28 December 2003 12.16am
The Shaftesbury Society, 020 8239 5555, say they will collect furniture type-stuff in good condition for formerly homeless people who have been housed. They advertise in local housing co-ops etc, but I have to say that when I have phoned them they haven't been very helpful. However, it's a good cause, so worth a try. Only other place I can think of is the British Heart Foundation shop in the Old Kent Road (a bit nearer the Elephant than Tesco, same side of road). They sell a lot of second hand furniture & they will pick up. I don't know of any charity that will collect second hand clothes & similar - usually when you phone them, as I expect you've found, the first thing they say is 'We don't collect'.
Maybe other people have more ideas. Good luck.
Cathy Sunday 28 December 2003 10.45am
The Geranium Charity Shops for the Blind will collect only during weekdays. They then disburse the stuff out to their charity shops. Collection of furniture is at the driver's discretion. Contact Lorraine at their warehouse on 020 8670 8493.

You could also try Trinity Hospice in Clapham on 7787 1014. Unlike other charity shops, they take electrical stuff, which they check is in working order before selling. They won't come into the Congestion Charging Zone but perhaps will collect outside those hours.
Sunday 28 December 2003 1.03pm
A few years ago I used to drive a van as a volunteer for a charity
on weekends. Anything that was picked up that was useful or
any quality furniture that was collected went in the front door and
out the back to the house of a member of the full time staff.
The woman in charge used to sort out what she could sell at a
car boot sale. That's why most of the bric-a-brac you see in charity
shops is junk. Anything servicable is syphoned off and is never
even offered to those who need it.
The best thing to do is find someone you think could use what you
have, and offer it to them directly.
Victor Sunday 28 December 2003 2.15pm
Thanks everyone, very helpful and surprisingly fast answers!
Hilary Monday 29 December 2003 6.17pm
While I'm sure phoney is right, all the same I have bought some decent furniture from the British Heart Foundation shop in the Old Kent Rd, and they do seem to have stuff that's OK. so I think it's worth checking them out before you give up. Seems to me that if the shop or whatever has good stuff for sale, then their staff must be fairly honest - or maybe, of course, they've already completely furnished their homes.
Moira Less Friday 22 January 2010 5.20pm
Does anybody know if this info is still correct?

I work with students and when they all move out in June we have loads of 'stuff' some of it is just a few months old and it seems criminal to throw it all away. We do not have any space to store it for any length of time otherwise we could hold on to it for the next intake so the next best thing is to give it to charity but trying to find one that will collect is a nightmare!
beetroot Friday 22 January 2010 5.25pm
Moira, if you have no luck with charities and the alternative is landfill, it takes seconds to join Freegle Southwark and post there.
chavender Monday 25 January 2010 9.41am
Try ringing the Trinity Hospice shop in Walworth Road. Not sure about furniture, but they have collected masses of stuff from me, and have delivered boxes to put it in.

http://barcelonavisit.com
Holiday flat in Barcelona
emzie Monday 25 January 2010 2.58pm
I've recently sold a flat and a charity called Emmaus (www.emmaus.org.uk) picked up our furniture. They collect electrical goods, bric-a-brac etc, to be repaired and sold in their shops by homeless people, who are trying to reuild their lives.

They will also take anything that can't be re-sold and arrange for it's disposal for a small donation to the charity.

They told me they have just moved to a new warehouse, so are actively looking for more donated goods. My flat was in Vauxhall but I'm pretty sure they cover SE1 too.

Hope that helps!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions