Fire Station and the pavement

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 14 October 2008 11.02pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3555

I hope there wasn't a thread on this yet, could not find one.

That news really made me happy, even if I would not want to remove anybody's licence or livelyhood, but that pavement outside the Fire Station pub has been one of my pet hates for years. I have been totally irrationally in rage about it most times I have to get to Waterloo station and there is almost always a massive crowd blocking the whole pavement. I had assumed that nobody cared, and the pub at least does not seem to care.

I am even thinking now why I have not just used the other side of Waterloo Road, but of course we all get stuck to our ways and want to use the route what we perceive as the shortest.
Wednesday 15 October 2008 8.30am
I agree. It seems to have got worse recently.
Wednesday 15 October 2008 8.40am
There are quiet a few pubs in SE1 that should have their licenses looked at. They clearly dont adhere to the conditions attached to the permissions they are given.
Wednesday 15 October 2008 9.26am
The question is, who checks? Do licensing authorities keep tabs on landlords, or is it up to the public to bring infringements to their attention?
Wednesday 15 October 2008 9.36am
Seems very petty to me, if you live in central London then there are going to be crowds outside pubs.
Wednesday 15 October 2008 10.12am
Sure there will be crowds. Crowds so big that one's forced to walk in the road, though? Careful with that word "petty".
Wednesday 15 October 2008 10.29am
It's such a ghastly pub I can quite see why people prefer to be outside it rather than inside it.
Zoe
Wednesday 15 October 2008 5.39pm
It seems that when anyone complaints about tall buildings, noisy anti-social pubs or traffic, there is always someone who likes to say that it's central London and so it's tough.

However, there are some lovely bits of central London which are very quiet, we just can't afford to live in those bits (well I can't, I don't want to generalise of course).

I can't accept that because it's central London I have to have several hundred people in the street drinking, bars blaring out music so loud that I can hear it on the 7th floor with all my windows closed and my TV turned up, and people peeing everywhere, which is what happens on Isabella Street at the back of my house.

Just because it's central London doesn't mean that we shouldn't have the same protection from licensing laws that everyone else has.

Grrr, grrr, moan, moan....!
Wednesday 15 October 2008 5.51pm
Zoe wrote:
It seems that when anyone complaints about tall buildings, noisy anti-social pubs or traffic, there is always someone who likes to say that it's central London and so it's tough.
However, there are some lovely bits of central London which are very quiet, we just can't afford to live in those bits (well I can't, I don't want to generalise of course).

I can't accept that because it's central London I have to have several hundred people in the street drinking, bars blaring out music so loud that I can hear it on the 7th floor with all my windows closed and my TV turned up, and people peeing everywhere, which is what happens on Isabella Street at the back of my house.

Just because it's central London doesn't mean that we shouldn't have the same protection from licensing laws that everyone else has.

Grrr, grrr, moan, moan....!

Its not a case of moaning. If its a public walk way it shouldnt be obstructed to pedestrians. Same as emergency exits and fire doors. If you were disabled trying to pass I'm sure you would have a moan. Licences should be more enforced and its down tho the licensee to control people on the streets.
Wednesday 15 October 2008 5.54pm
Maybe some people dont want to live somewhere quiet? Maybe some people like being in the centre of a lively city? I live over a pub and across the road from a club. Sure its noisy sometimes, and I get woken up sometimes. But for me thats a small price to pay for having such amenities close at hand and to feel part of such an exciting city. I respect that some people want it to be quiet but equally some love being in the midst of things.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network