Bermondsey Square Cinema

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 14
Wednesday 15 October 2008 12.02pm
Does anyone have an update on this or know when it will be opening? I can't even figure out exactly where it will be !
Wednesday 15 October 2008 12.41pm
I've been wondering the same thing. There's not much information out there.

I just emailed Shortwave to see if they could tell me anything and I'll post if I get any good dirt.
Wednesday 15 October 2008 12.42pm
I think Rob from Shortwave was saying "by the end of the year".

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 16 October 2008 10.40pm
I was passing by on Tuesday and Rob took me and my shopping in for a walk-around. The plan is to be fully open early in the New Year, but to have a series of small introductory events just before Christmas

The cinema itself will be cosy and compact, with raked seating for 40-50 people rising to the wall with Long Lane.

The pipes and ducting which protrude below the floor above will end up lowering the ceiling a few feet, dictating that the size of the screen will be 10 feet x 8 feet, which seems just about right for the intimate surroundings.

On the Bermondsey Square side of the site, there will be a bar/lounge/eating area. This has the potential to be a cool venue, depending on how it is finished.

As an avid small-theatre fan, I think that the space is really exciting. I just hope that the arthouse cinema/speakeasy format will trump the chill winds of the recession.

With strong local support, I am sure that it will succeed.
Thursday 16 October 2008 10.55pm
It definitely has my vote. Will the small introductory events be only for those in the know?
Friday 17 October 2008 10.48am
Great sleuthing! I didn't even get a reply to my email, so I'm no help. I'm sure that just by advertising on the SE1 site they could fill up those seats pretty regularly. I can't believe this is going to be a 10-second walk from my flat.

Did he happen to mention anything about the range of film they're planning to screen? Will it all be desperate gritty South London indie fare or will we get some funny ha-ha films? Some vintage films? Some arty French crap? Ooh la la!

Why do we have to wait three months? Wah.
Friday 17 October 2008 7.37pm

I was just passing by on my way back from Sainsbury's and said hello to Rob when I was invited to have a quick look, so I don't think it will be an exclusive A-list guest rosta for the pre-Christmas events !

If you're keen to find out more, why not pop your head around the door (north end of B Square on Long Lane side between Residential bits and new hotel, where all the pavements are being reworked now) and see if anyone's home. If only the builders are there, why not leave a note expressing your interest in the project, asking any questions (which sort of films?)and contact details ?

No connection, other than working alongside Rob on the Bermondsey Street Festival this year.
Saturday 18 October 2008 9.24pm
I am also looking forward to the opening of the new cinema but was suprised by the stupid comment made JRob.
French films like many foreign films are certainly more entertaining than simple Hollywood movies made for simple people.
I went to the Ritzy recently to see " I have loved you for so long" and I would recommend it to anyone. Obviously, it implies reading subtitles and some people might find this challenging even in their mother tongue!
Saturday 18 October 2008 10.16pm
Yes, a beautiful film, Serge.
Sunday 19 October 2008 12.09am
Easy, tiger. It was just a joke.

Thanks, Se1ty slicker, I didn't know they'd already started moving into a space. I'll have to run dowsnstairs and have a peep. This will be even more exciting than Sainsbury's Watch 2008. "They've got cigarettes!" "I saw blueberries!"

It would be great if they did older movies or at least show the ones that are occasionally remastered and re-released. You can always find someplace that's showing foreign films or independent films, but seeing classic films on the big screen is a rate treat. For nerds like me, anyway.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 14

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: