E&C Shopping Centre

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 29 December 2003 3.00pm
I went to the Elephant & Castle Shopping Centre today, and found it to have been frozen in stasis since the early seventies.

I was born in '79, and I have only seen shopping centres like this in photos. Amazing.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.
Monday 29 December 2003 4.20pm

Someone might propose listing as a valuable document of postwar social history!

But seriously, its a lot more interesting than when the top floor, which is now the bingo, was the staff canteen for thousands of civil servants who worked in Hannibal House above and Alexander Fleming House across the road.
Monday 5 January 2004 1.54pm
Yes, it's ugly, but there's actually some good stuff in the shopping centre: Tesco, Boots, Smiths, Iceland, Woolworth, Lloyds Bank etc, and some great independent traders, like Tlon Books and the African greengrocer and the plant shop. I don't understand why other big retailers eg Gap, Next, Body Shop etc don't grasp the nettle and make a go of it.

But what the shopping centre desperately needs first is some kind of maintenance plan. Let's face it, it's not going to be regenerated in the foreseeable future - and it's filthy and decaying. Neglecting it while the regen is under discussion is not the answer! An ongoing plan of cleaning and patching up would be better than nothing!

On a sociological level, of course, it's unbeatable: ALL human life is there.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: