Self Service Laundry Problems

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 29 December 2003 4.21pm
A friendly word of warning:-
I have been using the self service laundrymat on the junctions between Kipling Street and Long lane (adjoining the fish and chip shop, by the pizza shop). I had a t-shirt that had black grease marks on it from the drum, a month or so ago and threw it away because it was old and didn't think anything of it. To my horror however today, I had the same black marks on two white double duvet covers.

As I am comitted to supporting local trade, I went back to speak to guy who runs it (based in the chip shop), telling him what had happened and that I had been via a dry cleaners who said they could clean it by hand using some of the magic potions they possess - all for 12. He smiled at this point, which I though was positive although is transpires that he was reflecting on the cunningness of his disclaimers plastered on the wall - my interpretation being that if you have colour runs or bleach on your clothes etc then that was your issue - not his.

After discussing this for a while, he claiming that I could have indeed soiled these items on my way home (only by throwing them into the middle of the road for passing traffic to soil!) - and that in any case none of his machines contained any mechanical moving parts, and maybe I should talk to my fellow customers as they were the dirty ones! - I gave up.

Sorry for the long rant, its just that I want to preserve parts of my body that are vital in defining me as a man - and are now severely under threat by my other half, as is my wallet A fate I am sure other forum users would like to avoid.

Over and out
Matt

Post edited (29 Dec 03 16:35)
Monday 29 December 2003 6.22pm
thank you for this - this is the launderette I use(d) - I've had no problems, but it looks like I've been lucky. Next nearest to me is in The Cut - a bit of a way. Anyone know any decent ones?
Monday 29 December 2003 6.44pm
Well, short of taking the plunge and really tempting fate by visiting Curry's - Old Kent road to purchase a machine of my own - I believe I have spotted another venue a little further along Long Lane (where it meets with Weston Street) - Also next to a fish and chips shop (Den's)

Post edited (29 Dec 03 18:48)
Monday 29 December 2003 7.47pm
If you do ever buy a washine machine, avoid Currys if at all possible! Terrible service and hidden costs. Best bet is John Lewis - free delivery and free extended warranty, plus staff who actually know what they are talking about. Not to mention that they are always cheapest anyway.
Jai
Tuesday 30 December 2003 7.23am
there's another launderette on Tower Bridge Road... bottom end... always busy, but it has a couple of 'nice' hard working ladies doing 'service-washes'

Varkenslachter
Tuesday 30 December 2003 11.39am
Curry's also do delivery, but only take it as far as your front door, and up a maximum of two steps in total. So if it's for a basement, forget it! They'll happily take the extra money from you for plumbing it in... outside the front door, I presume!
Tuesday 30 December 2003 6.50pm
Thanks. I'll try Long Lane first as nearer, & if no luck then Tower Bridge Rd. In fact, I've got a washing machine (not from Curry's, from Lynne's in Walworth Rd - they were fine) but it doesn't wash the dreaded duvet. Even people with machines - unless the machines are huge or the duvets tiny - need launderettes from time to time, and of course the wretched things have to be dried. So any tips on decent launderettes with driers are much appreciated.
Thursday 1 January 2004 5.44pm
There is a launderette at 113 Abbey Road SE1, which has two sizes of washing machines, the large ones of which are very large, and offers a special "duvet wash", which you might find helpful.

The friendly owner offers service washes as well as DIY.

There is another launderette on Jamaica Road in the shopping parade next to the Bermondsey Jubilee Line station, which is easier to get to by public transport, but I haven't used them.
Thursday 1 January 2004 9.15pm
Thanks (from me & dirty duvet owners everywhere)
Wednesday 23 August 2006 7.50pm
Charles Simon wrote:
There is a launderette at 113 Abbey Road SE1, which has two sizes of washing machines, the large ones of which are very large, and offers a special "duvet wash", which you might find helpful.
The friendly owner offers service washes as well as DIY.

There is another launderette on Jamaica Road in the shopping parade next to the Bermondsey Jubilee Line station, which is easier to get to by public transport, but I haven't used them.

Have finally got to get my duvets washed before this winter, found this thread with a search here. Can anyone update on this, before I make a trek to Abbey Road with my duvets?

The one nearest to me is in the Cut, but I don't think their machines are big enough.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: