Good service, bad service

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 1 January 2004 6.26pm
We are about to move out of the area after 17 years - only temporarily we hope - and we thought it might be a good service to let others know of companies who have recently give us bad service.

1. Pimlico Plumbers put in a sink unit and a gas hob. We can give book and chapter if required, but suffice to say that the bill was hugely expensive and the quality of work substandard. The plumber went missing much of the day on various excuses, and my wife logged the absences meticulously. After complaining to his managers, they came around to see the work and refused to accept any of our arguments, even denying the record of his absences, for which they wanted payment. We would have taken them to the small claims court if we were not leaving.

I see the poshly-painted PP vans around SE1 still and wonder if others have had similar experiences.

2. Citylink couriers. We subscribe to a service which delivers gourmet food from Scotland. Unfortunately, they only use Citylink as their London delivery agents. Okay we live in a block which is a two floor walkup with no lift, but that's life, some people do and you work around it if you are a delivery person.

(Parcelforce don't even try, they always leave a card on the ground floor to say you were out and please collect from our conveniently located HQ in Camden. At least they are friendly.)

But Citylink are in a league of their own. They sent a big beefy delivery guy to actually bring it to the door, but then he spent 10 minutes berating my suprised wife at the top of his voice using language Ozzy Osbourne would have been proud of, for spoiling his day and threatening his health by making him carry a heavy load up so many stairs. When she complained back for his appalling manners, she got nowhere.

Later she phoned his manager and he said his driver had already phoned in to say she was a troublesome customer and basically got the same reaction, minus the f-words. Perhaps the deliveryman is a typical respresentative of the company culture after all.

They have lost us for life as a customer, as a result. We also stopped our subscription to the food service, because they refused to use another courier, any other courier...

Hope the above isn't libellous, it is just a statement of fact of the way that we were treated by two local service suppliers.

We may have got them on a bad day but I don't think so. I am not advocating you don't use them, just read about our experience...

Post edited (01 Jan 04 18:33)
jan
Friday 2 January 2004 6.43am
Charles - I had to laugh, a two floor walk up and no lift?, carrying a box of groceries? what do they thinks thousands of parents do with their shoppingm pushchair and toddler do every day...

When I got married we were eternally grateful for a flat ( one bedroom/living room kitchen combined/no bath/toilet on the landing!) in Guinness Trust buildings, two elderly men carried a new fangled twin tub up to the fifth floor, no lift....two flights to a floor - about ten or eleven steps to each flight.

The only comment from the delivery men was that I had money to waste as there was a boiler in the washroom outside!

and the porcine element takes to the sky...
Jai
Friday 2 January 2004 10.01am
I'll make a note of not using either of these companies...

I think this forum is an excellent place for this kind of thing. Consumer power needs to be brought back to people's attention.

Varkenslachter
Monday 5 January 2004 6.12pm
I would not recommend using Sherwood General Builders (based in SE16.)

They did my bathroom recently the builder decided not to finish the job properly. There is cement, grout and mess all over the walls, uneven tiling and a messily-installed sink. I will have to spend about 2 days of my own time to rectify it.

When it came to have the discussion about immediate payment and finish, the builder got into such a rage that he seemed almost violent. I felt very threatened - he took advantage of the fact that I am a single woman living alone.

I had to pay up, just to get him to leave my flat without hurting me.

So be warned...
Monday 5 January 2004 6.13pm
yes. And considering the number of times a "can you recommend a good.........?" question comes up, maybe we should have a separate area of the board that just lists good and bad experiences with various shops/services??

Good idea or bad idea?

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 5 January 2004 6.15pm
Sadly I fear that a separate area for such discussions would only encourage people to sign up to plug their own services and rubbish their competitors...

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 5 January 2004 6.29pm
Ah, but then we would know who they were and could avoid them.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 19 January 2004 3.49pm
I too have used Pimlico Plumbers, but in contrast to your views , I only have good to say about them. I called them up at 7.30pm on a sunday night when my toilet sprung a huge leak and was coming through the ceiling. Within 25 mins a very nice, experienced man arrived at my door. Within a small time the job was done, to what I consider a high standard, at the same time he reasured me about my ceiling and offered to send a builder for a free quote on the damage(which I took him up on!). Plumbers generally get nothing but bad press, Pimlico deserve the credit and reputation they have built up.
Jai
Monday 19 January 2004 9.09pm
Steve Hen's first ever posting ?

and it ends in... "Pimlico deserve the credit and reputation they have built up." doesn't sound like an unrelated happy customer to me !!!

call me cynical !

Varkenslachter
Tuesday 20 January 2004 3.57am
gGiven the prevoius experiencem maybe Steve could set our minds at rest?

kevin
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: