Knife sharpening

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 21 October 2008 7.12am
Does anyone know of a good place to get a kitchen knife sharpened?
Tuesday 21 October 2008 11.03am
That's a very good question! and one which I'm also interested in knowing the answer to.

Does anyone know if shoe repairers, key cutters would do knife sharpening? It seems sensible to think they might. otherwise, find a blacksmith, or metal work shop (Surrey Docks City farm, or that place on the corner of St James Rd.)
Tuesday 21 October 2008 1.23pm
Some restaurants in se1 have mobile sharpeners visit,this involves a man operating a bench grind stone in a van parked up outside their premises,in fact some restaurants have a rotational contract whereby dull knifes are sharpened offsite and fresh ones are left in their stead.
I always found it a simple job to do myself,little and often is the best way with knifes...try the firm below they might service some of the se1 restaurants

Baggia Mobile KnifeGrinding
30 Castlewood Dr,
Eltham London,
Eltham,
LONDON,
SE9 1ND
T : 02088567967
Tuesday 21 October 2008 7.53pm
You could just do it yourself:

http://www.videojug.com/film/sharpening-a-knife-with-a-steel

This slightly long-winded demonstration gives you the method.
Wednesday 22 October 2008 8.09am
You know, some of us cannot sharpen our own knives because of a little-known disease called sharpus heebjeebitis, in which the patient reports symptoms of extreme heebie-jeebies experienced when dragging a sharp metal object across a stone or metal surface. Sensation begins at the top of the cranium and travels down the HJ pathways of the spine. It's icky.
Wednesday 22 October 2008 10.01am
I've got a really super sharpener,which I got in John Lewis. It not only does the job it also has a very nice design. It's two steels crossed on a spring inset in a black block..wouldnt DREAM of asking anyone else to sharpen my knives. I do it all the time, cant bear blunt knives, they ruin the food.
Wednesday 22 October 2008 10.11am
Eventually, though, knives benefit from re-grinding.

There's a hardware shop at the north end of either King's Cross Road or Grays Inn Road (cannot remember which) that sharpens knives.
Wednesday 22 October 2008 1.42pm
Only drawback to taking your stack of kitchen knives to be resharpened is - how do you explain them if you're subject to a random stop and search?!!
Wednesday 22 October 2008 1.54pm
What a silly question. Obviously you wear a garish stripey costume, carry a spinning target with you and be sure to bring along a lovely assistant wearing lots of sequins and feathers. Then nobody's the wiser.
Wednesday 22 October 2008 3.10pm
You can sharpen knives on the unglazed edge on the bottom of a mug.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: