parking fine

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Jai Tuesday 6 January 2004 1.58pm
actually, I quite like his comments... wouldn't be very good if we all agreed right ?

Mapmaker, you are WRONG !!! ;-)

Varkenslachter
The Lady Miss Jo Jo Tuesday 6 January 2004 2.07pm
To clarify my comment, carpmaker reminds me of Adele because he seems to enjoy arguing for the sake of it.

Post edited (06 Jan 04 14:10)
James Tuesday 6 January 2004 2.13pm
Mapmaker - when you say they weren't taking cards - do you mean just on the day in question, or do they not take card payments 'full stop'???
Sarah O'Connell Tuesday 6 January 2004 2.14pm
Carpmaker,

Sorry for my assumption that you prance. Quite prepared to accept that you don't........

I once lived in Germany and was astounded by the way people would line up on the side of an empty road waiting for the green man light to appear. Jaywalking is probably wrong, possibly against the law, but give me London's anarchy any day. I don't set out to inconvenience others, I certainly don't aim to pick up fines, but at the same time over-policing especially through an increase in cameras seems set to provide us with a more cowed and less tolerant society.

Oh-uh, don't mean to offend Germans either. Hummel hummel.

Post edited (06 Jan 04 14:25)
carpmaker Tuesday 6 January 2004 2.21pm
TLMJJ

Predictable, graceless, retreat (but I wasn't holding my breath for an apology), but (you'll not be surprised) I'm going to argue this one.

Where's the evidence for your personal comment about me? Or does "arguing for the sake of it" translate as "doesn't agree with ampmaker"?

Did I miss the bit in the forum rules where it said that we weren't really supposed to debate anything, and should all agree with whoever shouts loudest?

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Mapmaker Tuesday 6 January 2004 2.22pm
They were only not taking cards on the day in question.
red bus Tuesday 6 January 2004 2.25pm

I am with the law breakers - it is a naive position to assume that all laws are equally worth obeying.

I want the police to prosecute burglers and muggers, but a judicious blind eye when I cycle West on the road on Union Street (instead of the ridiculous cycle lane/pavement) is also what I would desire.
Sarah O'Connell Tuesday 6 January 2004 2.30pm
Red Bus

Scarey when you find yourself agreeing with Daily Mail editorials. But didn't Tony Blair have to give way recently when pensioners threatened to riot over something.

Sarah
carpmaker Tuesday 6 January 2004 2.53pm
Red Bus,

That's the crux of it. If there's a law that we don't agree with, then should we obey it (because society makes laws and we live in it), or should we all live out our personal interpretation of laws/only follow laws that we think are acceptable.

This is where I hoped we'd get to.

There's got to be sense in questioning laws and their validity. There are probably loads of laws that a majority would agree are wrong in some way. But should we try and change them through the existing mechanism (democracy), or should we opt out of that and each live our own modified anarchy (term used loosely. Dropping litter unlikely to rock foundations of civilisation)?

And if we do opt for personal "anarchy", then do we have any cause for complaint if we get nicked and have to pay the penalty?

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Mapmaker Tuesday 6 January 2004 2.55pm
Carpmaker (whose very name was designed to be vulgar and offensive - think of a very close anagram if you can) wrote:

'...you'll not be surprised I'm going to argue this one. Where's the evidence for your personal comment about me [that I like] arguing for the sake of it"

Well, what more evidence can you ask for than the first sentence? A large proportion of your posts appear to be kite flying trolling - which I think was the point that Lang Rabbie made.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions