Helicopters

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 22 October 2008 1.33pm
What is with all these Helicopters?

They are all over us. Yesterday two, one with what looked like rocket launchers or something attached, circled the Mayor's Palace before flying off down river. Another has just gone over head here again near Abbey Street flying at avery low height.
There seems to be a constant drone of the wretched things overhead.
el
Wednesday 22 October 2008 10.00pm
This has been happening every day for a few days now. they hover for a long time over one place. Does any one know what they are doing?
Wednesday 22 October 2008 10.15pm
I should imagine it's the police doing their job. I find it exciting , all part of living in a city.
Thursday 23 October 2008 11.07pm
The police must have at least 6 different helicopters then because I'm getting good at telling them apart.

The only one I wholeheartedly enjoy and wish every blessing on is the Virgin flying ambulance.
It's bright red and it does not hover or muck about it zooms in and it zooms out again.
No messing.

Why do the police have so many (do they? how many?) and do so little with them and the one and only flying ambulance in gridlocked London is privately sponsored?
Thursday 23 October 2008 11.55pm
I keep seeing a yellow and black helicopter - it is noisier than most of the others
Friday 24 October 2008 3.21am
The yellow and black helicopter is police. one of the reasons its so noisy is they have two have twin engines as they are operating in an urban area.

I suppose having battersea heliport not far from SE1 does not help with the amount of helicopters flying in and around the area , along with the tourist "joyride" trips you can have in various helicopters along the thames.

and for those who were interested in HEMS - Londons air ambulance ..some info for you :

The distinctive red HEMS helicopter flies seven days a week in daylight hours, flies approximately 1000 missions a year, and can reach anywhere within the M25 within 12 minutes. The majority of incidents are road traffic accidents and falls from heights. A trauma car operates five nights a week providing the same high-level service.

HEMS receives NHS funding and corporate sponsorship, but still needs to fundraise 750,000 every year to keep the service operational.
Friday 24 October 2008 9.38am
Quote:
The only one I wholeheartedly enjoy and wish every blessing on is the Virgin flying ambulance.
It's bright red and it does not hover or muck about it zooms in and it zooms out again.
No messing.

I used to enjoy the red one until I found out its the air ambulance. Now whenever I see it a get a horrible feeling cos I know someone somewhere has been critically injured if they need the air ambulance.

I also hate seeing those noisiest huge big black ones with two rotors, are they chinooks? First time I saw them I thought something terrible was happening to London but guess they are just on military excercise. Sometimes theres six of them in formation flexing muscle all over London. Does anyone know anything about them? Where are they based. Are they military? Top secret?
Friday 24 October 2008 9.39am
Davies wrote:
No messing.

No such blessings for the other emergency services then?

Should be fairly obvious as to why the police helicopters need to "hover or muck about"...
Friday 24 October 2008 10.09am
Yes, the large 2 rotor aircraft are Chinook helicopters from RAF Odiham. Click "Flying Info", top right, on their home page for low flying info. Also click the "Low Flying" menu on the flying info page where you can see a pic of a Chinook over the Thames.

296 Sqn Air Cadets at Stoke Newington spent summer camp at RAF Odiham in 2007, and many of the cadets had the opportunity to fly in a Chinook low level down the Thames. You can see pictures here.
Friday 24 October 2008 2.29pm
Thanks for the information,BSB. For some reason I thought the Chinooks were from bases in East Anglia (If there still are R.A.F. bases there). The RAF Odiham site most interesting though.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: