Help to find a leaf picker-upper

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 22 October 2008 9.06pm
Can anyone please help me locate a garden tool which picks up leafs - I don't know the correct name but simply it is a stick with a spike on the end. I reckon it would be great for picking up the leafs in the garden borders -I have found that a rake uproots the young plants and the blower/sucker thingy is too heavy and cumbersome to use everyday'ish. I used to see them many years ago being used by the gardeners in park.
Wednesday 22 October 2008 10.15pm
I have no idea about where to find a pole with a spike on the end, although I know what you mean. You could try Homebase.

I have a litter picker up thing, which could be used to pick up leaves (you press a handle on one end and its pincers open to pick up the litter at the other end). It was about 8 quid from B&Q.
Thursday 23 October 2008 6.41am
How about a leaf 'hoover'..black and decker did one, or a ' blower' ?
Thursday 23 October 2008 8.29am
I think there are leaf hoovers which are not TOO violent (ie pick up the leaves but not the plants)...I'd be interested myself actually so will research and post.
Thursday 23 October 2008 6.43pm
Not meaning to be rude but how about:
buy length of stick or pole
buy nail
attach nail to one end of pole

(could drill a hole or tie it to the pole)
Friday 24 October 2008 8.56am
JimG wrote:
Not meaning to be rude but how about:
buy length of stick or pole
buy nail
attach nail to one end of pole

(could drill a hole or tie it to the pole)
Beat me to it Jim ;0)

If you want the wood for free (and probably the nail, as well), I've got some you can have.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 28 October 2008 9.25pm
Thanks for your replies and thanks Ivanhoe for the kind offer of the wood and nail. When I saw my son I showed him this post and he said 'oh mum I can't believe you, you should have mentioned it to me first' so hopefully I shall have my stick and nail thingy very soon!
Wednesday 29 October 2008 7.05am
I was going to offer to make you one. In fact I still might make it out of interest and see how stylish a stick with nail I can make.
Thursday 30 October 2008 4.48pm
You could ask the council if you could have one of their little leaf blowers. There was one being used on Tuesday near HMS Belfast with one person blowing leaves around gently into neat little piles, and another chap watching for about 20 minutes, while more leaves fell around them. I had to conclude that Man A was doing a proficiency test, as I could see no other reason for such a waste of time But it keeps them occupied, doesn't it?
Thursday 30 October 2008 6.07pm
Eileen - thank you for not taking offence at my post - I was not sure whether to post as it is very difficult to add 'tone' to a posting and there are some very thin skinned people on here...

Possel - surely you came across some sort of performance art piece - 'the futility of man' or 'leaf ballet for two persons'
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network