Boddy's Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Barry Mapes
Saturday 23 February 2002 9.25pm
Does anyone remember the street called Boddy's Bridge. It was located off Old Barge St not far from the OXO factory. I believe that an office block was built there some years ago. I was born at 26 Hatfields in 1950 but we moved around the corner to Boddys not long after. Anyone know about the area or lived there would be great to hear about it.

Barry Mapes
Thursday 7 June 2007 10.07am
My Mum was born in Boddys Bridge in 1922, it was a cull de sac which backed onto Stamford Street, they lived in two rooms, eleven of them, my Grandad worked on the barges. It was opposite Bull stairs where my uncle fell in the Thames, he will be 80 next month and remember Boddys Brige well. The local bookie used to stand by the Angel Pub on the corner , and when the police came he would run down the cull de sac and over the wall to Stamford Street, my Aunts Dad was one of his runners and ended up in court (he got off!).I remember visiting Upper Ground with my family on a pub crawl, but the Angel was only open certain times and we could'nt get in.
Thursday 15 September 2011 10.31am
My granmother and her family lived in Boddy's Bridge in the early part of the last century.The family name was Poole and several of the other families there were related to them The Wakelings and Chamberlains. 2 of my grans brothers were drown in the Thames when just small boys. I believe they were swimming off Bulls Stairs which are nearby. Another boy fell off the window sill and died as well so it wasn't a happy place for them.
Monday 24 October 2011 1.34pm
When I was 13 (back in 1959) I went to The London Nautical School in Stamford street, I hated it so much that I took every opportunity to "bunk off" and often would sit on the steps on Boddy's Bridge with my fellow miscreants to smoke an illicit cigarette. As it was out of bounds the prefects didn't go there and we never caught. Ah happy days.
Friday 20 April 2012 12.23am
I have just read your comments on boddys bridge my grandmother also lived there and her surname was chamberlain who you said were related to your family i think she lived at number 1 i can remember going there but was only about 3 up those stairs. They lived there until about 1948 when she died. I wonder how we are related. Nice to read about it.
Sunday 7 September 2014 2.48pm
My great aunt and uncle were licencees of the Angel pub from the early 1920s until the mid 1930s. My grandmother and my dad lived with them. I have a photograph taken outside the pub with a crowd of people who are either going on or returning from an outing. I remember my dad taking me there when I was a young boy, but has all been redeveloped now. This thread has helped me as I was trying to find exactly where the pub was located. There is a useful site http://maps.google.com/gallery/details?id=zs2aHyi7W8Ek.kggHTef2F49I&hl=en, which overlays an old map with a new satellite view, hope that the link works. My dad told me stories about the bookie's runners and of the alley ways leading down to the river.
Sunday 6 December 2015 7.56pm
We lived at 8 boddys bridge. I have some old photos from the coronation street party. Been having a good read of all these posts.
Sunday 6 March 2016 11.45am
I noted Evelyn's message that her grandmother lived at 1, Boddy's Bridge. My own gg grandfather, Thomas Moore, also lived at 1, Boddy's Bridge at the time of the 1861 census. He was a lighterman, who eventually drowned at Barge House Wharf in 1894.

Do you have any pictures or description of this address? Was it similar to the photos already on similar websites, showing 12-14 Boddy's Bridge? Is there anything else you can tell me?

Steve
Wednesday 21 September 2016 3.07pm
Great posts. Some of my ancestors lived there, Springates in 1851 census. They seemed to move between Lambeth and Southwark. Some of that arm of the family in later generations lived on Hatfields. Pretty much everyone moved out due to WW2.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: