Boddy's Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Sunday 13 November 2016 2.29pm
Hi
Thought you would like to know that there was a 10 minute black & white film with Boddy's Bridge in it, it is called 'Two At Thursday' made in 1968. The DVD of Ghost Story (1974) has 2 discs, the second disc has 7 short unseen films of Steven Weeks and that film is one of them. Using this film and Google Earth I have been trying to find out exactly where Boddy' Bridge was but everything is so different now it seems impossible to locate. In the short film a couple go down Old Barge Street (which is still there) turn right and they come to boddy's bridge and he then walks over the steps. Does anybody know a way of finding it's exact location now please???
Sunday 13 November 2016 2.55pm
You can get ghost story that is mention still on Amazon..don't know why I think body's bridge was off Upper Ground? Perhaps Barry mentioned it?
Sunday 13 November 2016 6.05pm
Boddy's Bridge was off of Upper Ground Street, my great aunt and her husband were licensees of the Angel Public house, which was on the corner in Upper Ground Street (No 41) on the corner with Boddy's Bridge. There is a very good website which allows an old map of London to be overlayed with a satellite view of modern London, at varying transparency by using a slider.
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=19&lat=51.5079&lon=-0.1067&layers=173&b=1
The slider is the blue dot towards the bottom left of the screen, by sliding it to the left a satellite picture of modern London is gradually introduced. Hope that I have explained properly and that this helps, if not please get back to me.
Sunday 13 November 2016 6.18pm
Thank you John, I have now got my bearings! I worked at Renu Plating, 27 upper ground, in a dumpy old office in the early sixties, walked down from Blackfriars rd. It was on the left as I recall. I was a dictaphone typist...and a rubbish one! The only job I got the golden handshake from...lol
Sunday 13 November 2016 6.23pm
Jan - Pleased to be of help, John
Monday 14 November 2016 10.28am
'Britain from Above' website has a collection of old aerial photos dating from the twenties until the fifties. Once you sign in (free of course) you can access any of their photos and zoom in to retrieve some remarkable detail.
Try these three reference numbers to start:
EPW028599 (1929)
EAW047030 (1952)
EAW046444 (1952).

I am sure they will stir old memories and you will be able to find Bodys Bridge.
Wednesday 16 November 2016 9.13pm
Thank you so much John for giving us that website. I just cannot believe how much that area has changed over the years. I was born and brought up in the 1940s in north west London. As a youngster I often visited that area near the Thames and felt sure I went down Boddy's Bridge at some point, parts of that 10 minute film did look familiar. After both my parents died we moved up to Northampton in 1970. It has changed beyond recognition, most of the buildings have gone in the town since we came up here, It's a real shame as a lot of them was really lovely and of historical value.
Thanks Again Graham
Friday 2 March 2018 12.25am
Hi Pat Everett, my relatives also lived at No8...but way back in 1890s. Would be willing to share any photos you might have if the house/road? Respectfully, Lucas Young
Thursday 8 March 2018 4.14pm
Hi

My mothers family lived both at 1 Boddys Bridge and 5/6 Boddys Bridge from around 1908 until the late 1950's. My grandparents were Robert and Lillian Land (nee Dowle).

If anybody has any photographs from that period or has any connection to my family I would be most interested in finding out some more information.

muppet289
Saturday 9 June 2018 6.49am
just been looking at this site again. I notice your family name was Chamberlain. My great grandmother sister married a Chamberlain, I believe Eliza and my GGM lived with them for some time.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network