Edamame...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 5 January 2004 2.54pm
OK - this is an obscure one. Anyone who's eaten in a sushi restaurant may have eaten Edamame. These are whole soy beans which are cooked in their pods, spiced, and then you eat them by biting the pod and squeezing the beans into your mouth.

I'd love to get hold of some so I can munch them at home - anyone know of anywhere in SE1 that sells them unprepared so I can cook 'em and spice 'em myself?

I've looked in loads of places with no luck, so I'd love to know...
Monday 5 January 2004 3.03pm
There's a Japanese supermarket on Brewer St in Soho, perhaps they do them as they have a chiller cabinet.

Otherwise there's a Japanese shopping mall in Colindale. Not quite SE1, but on the Northern line I believe.
Monday 5 January 2004 3.28pm
Well I've looked in a fair few Oriental supermarkets in Chinatown and in Soho, so maybe I'll give Colindale a try...
Monday 5 January 2004 3.28pm
There's been a thread on this before:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/4791
Monday 5 January 2004 4.22pm
they sell them in the supermarket at Oriental City in Colindale. To get there, go to C'dale tube, turn right out of the exit and walk about 5 mins until you get to the junction with the Edgware Rd. Cross the E'ware Rd and turn right again and Oriental City is a couple of hundred yards up on your left.

you'll only find frozen at present. no one grows them for sale in this country, and they don't ship them in fresh. frozen taste great though.

if you are planning a trip to Oriental City then I'd recommend going at lunchtime as the food court there is fantastic (everything from Sth Indian, via Thai and Malyasian, to Japanese, Korean and Chinese) and good value (big plate full of food, pint of beer, plenty of change from a tenner)

[i don't have shares in the place. however, i work nearby and have fallen in love with it as it's the only decent place to eat nearby and is a real find in what's a pretty grotty area otherwise]

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Jai
Monday 5 January 2004 4.24pm
completely agree...

my wife likes to go shopping there and stack up on oriental ingredients... I always take the opportunity to fill up at the food-court...

Varkenslachter
Monday 5 January 2004 4.45pm
Quality. If they definitely sell it then I'll plan a trip there. Or I'll get my Dad to go for me now he works in Mill Hill - hehe!
Monday 5 January 2004 5.04pm
their website is here

http://www.oriental-city.com/

it's probably worth ringing up beforehand in case there's a run of SE1-ers who've cleaned out the edamame

[i'd offer to go and get some for you myself, and hand them over to you somewhere in SE1, but we're going to be so busy for the next couple of months that i don't imagine I'lll get many lunches out until after the end of Feb]

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 5 January 2004 5.08pm
No worries Carpy - thanks for the thought though. You could be my edamame 'dealer' and hand it over wrapped in brown paper...
Monday 5 January 2004 5.33pm
This type of thread makes me v hungry.
Visited Itsu in Wardour St on Saturday....and had 2 portions of Soya beans . Mmm
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: