Brook Street, Southwark in 1920's

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 24 February 2002 9.30pm
I wonder if anyone could tell me if there was a club or hotel on the site of 7 Brook Street, Southwark SE1 in the late 1920's?
Jan
Friday 1 March 2002 5.58am
is that near the elephant and castle? could it have been a hospital?
Friday 1 March 2002 9.03am
I don't think that it was a hospital as I have an occupation mentioned at that address as Porter (Club).
Jan
Sunday 3 March 2002 7.02am
Doctors were the elete back then, could it have been the Hospital Bar? have you been to John Harvard Library, or I have just thought is thre anywhere you can find the old Kelly's Directories? ........They were large heavy books about 6-8inches thick, and in the good old days when every thing stayed put with out closing down you could read such entries as....

Bartholomew Street

Number 1 The Beehive Pub

Number 2 Smiths Store

Number 3 Doctor Smith's Surgery

Numbers 7-15 Private Houses

I think they printed them up to the sixties...

I wonder if they have them in John Harvard, come to think of it I know where I'm going on my day off!
Sunday 3 March 2002 3.35pm
You may well be right. I am at a total loss at the moment but Kellys Directories sound like a good bet. I shall see if I can lay my hands on them.
Thanks
Tuesday 16 April 2002 12.03am
i have searched and searched the web and i can find no information about the purley kings and queens. my wife is writing a story that takes place in london. part of the story is about them but our information is limited. any help on this subject would be greatly apreciated.
Joanna
Tuesday 16 April 2002 11.54am
Could be coz you\'re spelling it wrong. Try http://www.pearlies.co.uk/
Tuesday 16 April 2002 5.26pm
I hope the story isn't based on the fact that Purley Kings & Queens were so named because they originally came from Purley!
Saturday 24 July 2010 10.01pm
I was born in brook street hospital in 1947

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: