New Year's Eve

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 28 October 2008 8.04pm
Hello all,

Does anyone know if any of the restaurants in the Shad Thames area do anything special for New Year's Eve without costing 150 per person?? I was wondering if places like the Tentazioni, Magdalen, the Hilton, the Tower hotel or anything over at St Katherine's Dock etc have any live music/ dinner dance etc for the night. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. There's just the two of us and I don't really want to stay home feeling miserbale while everyone else is out partying!!!
Wednesday 29 October 2008 12.28am
The one New Year's we spent in London in the last twelve to fifteen years we went to Tentazioni. No music during the dinner as I recall, but at midnight everyone had a free glass of Prosecco and some Italian themed music came over the speakers. A few hardy souls slow danced, most sat back and enjoyed a brandy and cigar, (pre no-smoking of course). An enjoyable evening but not cheap at circa 85 a pop, and this was probably seven or more years back. We may be looking for something closer to home this year again, as with the sinking pound, suddenly Athens, Rome, Berlin or New York are not the cheap chav free options that they were.
Wednesday 29 October 2008 8.14am
le pain quotidien at the Festival Hall is advertising a new years eve special with the best views of the fireworks guaranteed. that raises the question;is boris paying for a big show this year?? maybe time for a new thread
Wednesday 29 October 2008 8.54am
We went to La lanterna a couple of years ago, the food was lovely and we had a shed load to drinkm, I think it came to about 85 each but not 100% sure, it's a bit hazy. There was no live music but lots of dancing and general cheer.
Wednesday 29 October 2008 9.12am
Tom Pepper wrote:
the cheap chav free options

I would have thought that an oxymoron!
Wednesday 29 October 2008 9.40am
Thanks, I'll check those out then.
Wednesday 29 October 2008 7.26pm
Laphroaig wrote:
Tom Pepper wrote:
the cheap chav free options

I would have thought that an oxymoron!
Apologies, Laphroaig! How about "cheap, chav-free options"?
Wednesday 29 October 2008 7.46pm
I suspect some people will think the problem persists in the repunctuated version.

I always think staying in with a group of close friends is the best way to spend NYE.
Thursday 30 October 2008 1.09am
longlaner wrote:
I suspect some people will think the problem persists in the repunctuated version.
I always think staying in with a group of close friends is the best way to spend NYE.
Last try, "cheap, but chav-free options."?
Thursday 30 October 2008 10.35am
I would argue that if somewhere is cheap, then it's likely to be popular with 'chavs', they all go on package holidays to Greek and Spanish islands because they're cheap. They've now started doing two week packages to Thailand. grrr.

somewhere cheap and chav free would have to be, in my opinion, cold, dark, with lots of cultural activity, museums, and art galleries, and very few bars and nightclubs. Any example at all escapes me.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network