Recommendations for Party Venues...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 29 October 2008 3.28pm
Hi All,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a venue for 40th birthday party - for about 100 people in early December? I'm thinking walking distance of London Bridge tube would be good.. maybe Borough Market way.. but I'd welcome your ideas.

Thanks!!
Wednesday 29 October 2008 5.40pm
The Leather Exchange have always done well for parties of that kind for us, not sure the upstairs room is big enough for 100 though, we've usually been just ok with about 50.
Thursday 30 October 2008 12.22am
Hi

I've answered this type of post before and I AM a little biased.

I am from The Old School Yard and we can cater for parties that size but it depends what you are after. I am currently taking alot of bookings for November and December but may be able to help if you want to chat.

Send me a personal message or give me a buzz on 0207 357 6281 if you want to discuss further. Our website is www.theoldschoolyard.com if you want more details on the venue.

Otherwise I heard good things from The Cut and The Hide and Village East. I'm sure they can also deal with 100 people.

Good luck and hope to hear from you soon.

Darren
Friday 31 October 2008 6.04pm
HI JB21

I'VE BEEN TO A PARTY AT THE HORSESHOE INN OFF WESTON STREET AND THEY GIVE THE WHOLE PUB OUT FOR BIG PARTIES, ESPECIALLY IF ITS WEEKENDS.
THE GUYS NAME IS DAVE

ALL THE BEST
DJEC
Monday 3 November 2008 9.58pm
Hi,
The Brisket formally known as Banside in Sumner Street, within walking distance from London Bridge, very freindly service, I have been to many a function when it was Bankside, the manager is the same one, Billy.
Give them a call
http://www.brisketrestaurant.co.uk/Reservations/
Happy 40th by the way.
Sam
Tuesday 4 November 2008 11.52am
Hey I thought I would just list out a few things you want to do when thinking about your parties. I hope you don't find this patronising and take it as a bit of advice from someone that makes a living on organising parties. This is not everything but a quick note.

Party venues are not just about size of venue, whether or not you can bring a dj and the price of drinks. Good parties are about atmosphere.

Of course you need the basics like size etc but you should be able to enjoy your party not work at it. You don't want to feel like you're in an aircraft hanger so get a place that will hold the right number of people - i.e. not to big or used to be a village hall (unless you want it to be). Lighting in places that are not set up as bars will be very bright.

DJ's can be good and bad. Please don't use a DJ that you haven't heard play before. I would also not recommend using your boyfriend/girlfriend or their friends. There can be arguments about music and you don't want people complaining to you. You need a venue that can take the complaints for you and allow you to enjoy yourself. Why not speak to your venue and get them to create a good playlist for you. Music selection is harder than it seems but you will find people out quickly.

Make sure people have proper directions by email, facebook correspondence, text, etc so that you're not on the phone for the first two hours directing people.

Service. Make sure the people that are making drinks or serving food are giving you quality products, consideration and speed. This is something that is difficult to gauge when you haven't tested a venue and very difficult if you are just hiring out a hall.

Flexibility. Be careful of venues that offer you everything. Good venues have a minimum spend or a charge because they are committed to helping you and run many parties. They don't let you do everything you want because they know what is covered under their insurance or licence and other limitations. I've seen a party been shut down by the police because a venue allowed a band and didn't have a live music licence. OF course you will find a few "free" gems but if you're the host do you really want to take the risks with your friends.

Anyway the most important thing as I said before is to visit the venue and know what you're getting and if they can deliver.

Hope this helps.

Darren
The Old School Yard
www.theoldschoolyard.com
Tuesday 4 November 2008 11.55am
ADi centre, 218 Lambeth Road, 020 7928 6160. parties for 100 to 300 people licence till 3am Friday or Saturday. Hall with stage, separate kitchen.
Monday 29 November 2010 5.41pm
Just to add my recommendation of the Old School Yard. Had a birthday party there last week and was treated really well and had a great time!
Monday 29 November 2010 11.48pm
Darren at The Old School Yard is one of the nicest people you could deal with. I recommend you go see the downstairs room (if that's available).

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: