Anyone going to Ikea soon?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
JeandePierre Thursday 30 October 2008 11.24am
Plea for help! Earn some good karma!

I don't have a car, so a friend took me to Ikea this week to buy some kitchen cabinets. I now realise that I am lacking one essential "Integral hinge". I can't really ask someone to make a special trip just to pick up a small packet costing 2, so I wonder if there is a local kind soul within a few miles of Waterloo, or near public transport served from the Waterloo area, who could pick up the hinges for me? I'll come and collect them from you by public transport or on my bike. (Of course I will pay you for them!)

In case anyone has spares, what I need is just ONE of these (they come in two-packs):
Integral 125 degree hinge

Thanks in advance!
JonR Thursday 30 October 2008 11.36am
I may have some of these!

we built our own kitchen, from flat packs, and I'm sure I have a box of spare parts lying around somewhere. I'll have a look when I get a moment, and get back to you in a few days.
JeandePierre Thursday 30 October 2008 11.47am
That's very kind, JonR!

But, folks, in case JonR doesn't have a spare, I'd still be grateful to know if anyone else is going to Ikea soon and willing to do this for me. I'd prefer to waste 2 and have too many, than to have none at all. (And if I end up with too many, I can always pass my spares on to the next person who makes the same mistake as me.)
James Hatts Thursday 30 October 2008 11.52am
Isn't it reasonably easy to get to Ikea Croydon by public transport from Waterloo?
Train to Wimbledon, tram to Ikea.

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
JeandePierre Thursday 30 October 2008 12.09pm
Well, I could do it myself on public transport (I once brought some Billy shelves home by bus -- never again), but if some kind person is already planning to make the trip, stand in the check-out queue, etc., I would prefer not to spend a few hours and several quid in order to buy a 1 hinge!
carmenes82 Thursday 30 October 2008 1.29pm
Can't you buy the item you need online and get it delivered for a small fee?
Laphroaig Thursday 30 October 2008 1.42pm
You can't order everything online.

I may be going to Ikea on Sunday, coincidentally. If JonR doesn't have it, and if I do go, I will get it for you.
JeandePierre Thursday 30 October 2008 1.43pm
Well yes, if you think that 7.50 is a 'small fee' for delivering a small lightweight package. But to my mind, that is a very expensive way of obtaining a 1 hinge.
Jonathan K Thursday 30 October 2008 2.00pm
What's this got to do with SE1?! Pay up your 7.50 delivery charge and be done!
JeandePierre Thursday 30 October 2008 2.11pm
Jonathan K,

Maybe others will agree with you, but I hoped that it would be legitimate to post a message that appealed to a sense of 'community' in SE1.

I post restaurant reviews on this site, not to benefit myself (I hide behind a username anyway, so I get no personal credit), but to benefit 'the community', and I hope that my post appealing to SE1 kindness is not generally seen as an abuse of this forum.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions