Queen's Buildings, Scovell Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 125 of 147
barry smith Thursday 29 September 2011 1.50pm
my name is barry smith i lived at 22 collinson street from 1946 to 1964 sandra smith was my sister then i moved south side scovell road i remember johns cafe and the off licence oppersite. friends of mine were derek coombes, ray carruthers , tommy kimble roy gibbons, david neal. i went to charles dickens primary school then to st. marys secondry school if anyone remenbers me please reply so we can share some old memories
barry smith Thursday 29 September 2011 2.03pm
my name is barry smith i remember ted mason i done some demolition work for him with jimmy hotchkiss and ray carruthers in 1964 at rodney road walworth then rolls road of the old kent road
alan flack Thursday 29 September 2011 4.45pm
hello barry, i remember you , do you remember my brother ronnie flack.
Michael Turner Friday 30 September 2011 11.42am
barry smith wrote:
my name is barry smith i lived at 22 collinson street from 1946 to 1964 sandra smith was my sister then i moved south side scovell road i remember johns cafe and the off licence oppersite. friends of mine were derek coombes, ray carruthers , tommy kimble roy gibbons, david neal. i went to charles dickens primary school then to st. marys secondry school if anyone remenbers me please reply so we can share some old memories
Michael Turner Friday 30 September 2011 11.51am
barry smith wrote:

'Hallo Barry, I hope you are well. I remember you very well, but you didn't mention me, so I suppose I didn't make much of an impression on your memory. I remember all the kids you mention, especially Nobby, who turned up in my life years later when his daughter became a friend of my daughter. Charles Dickens holds fond memories, and so do the buildings. Fireworks nights, Rippon's shop ah Mrs Rippom and the French women 'Madam' who served in there.The Ship Pub where we would wait for pennies to be thrown, Jack's shop, the bombed areas where one kid got crushed by a falling wall.....I could go on. I eventually moved out to a lovely house in Dulwhich, and then to a village in East Sussex. Most of my life has been spent in the muisc business, as a singer, then a producer/manager. I am now semi-retired and still a Millwall supporter. All the best Mickey/Michael
jo watts Friday 30 September 2011 11.56am
hi all i use to live at 38 queens buildings with my two brothers keith & dennis i never knew lorraine carroll whilst living there but i do now we drink together in our local we still talk about the old block & laugh we lived above the flat that had the fire my two brothers had to climb out the window to go down the firemans ladder how exciting when i got carried down the stairs (boring). I hope someone can remember when the programme World in Action filmed around the square my mum was on the telly me & my friends were rolling skating round the square hanging on to the back of the milkvan im trying to get a hold of a copy luv jo
sandra goggin Tuesday 4 October 2011 8.30am
Morning Jo
I cant remember you but remember Keith ,Lorraine Carroll is my cousin.I spoke about her a long way back in the forum,telling a tale about her having to have a tetnus jab when she cut her toe while we were carrying a tea chest back from the tea factory in Marshallsea rd,i made her go into the Evelina childrens hospital to ask for a plaster,they sent her home with a letter to say she needed the injection,not sure if she ever forgave me (ha ha) perhaps you can ask her!we were getting the tea chest as her Mum and Dad were moving out to the new town Sudbury in Suffolk

I think the world in action film may have been the one that my aunt Kitty powell was in,there is a photo of her standing outside (f)block in previous page,in the film she was shown going into the mobile x-ray unit that came to the area,i think around 1964/65.As you say it would be nice to see that piece of film again
barry smith Thursday 6 October 2011 2.16pm
alan flack wrote:
hello barry, i remember you , do you remember my brother ronnie flack.

hello alan yes i do remember you and ronnie well i hope you are both well will send another message later batty
matthew kavanagh Friday 7 October 2011 10.40am
jo watts wrote:
hi all i use to live at 38 queens buildings with my two brothers keith & dennis i never knew lorraine carroll whilst living there but i do now we drink together in our local we still talk about the old block & laugh we lived above the flat that had the fire my two brothers had to climb out the window to go down the firemans ladder how exciting when i got carried down the stairs (boring). I hope someone can remember when the programme World in Action filmed around the square my mum was on the telly me & my friends were rolling skating round the square hanging on to the back of the milkvan im trying to get a hold of a copy luv jo
hi jo i used to hang around with your brother keith and dennis shields i think you were the youngest ? how is keith ?
barry smith Friday 7 October 2011 11.54am
hello michael sorry imissed you out among my friends after having a massive stroke in 1994 you tend to forge the past a bit i am an arrsenal fan since 1957 the last 3 years i my son and grandsonhave beenseason ticket holders but not this year thats all for now hope you are well hope to hear from you again barry
Current: 125 of 147

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions