Riverside lighting

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 6 January 2004 10.52pm
Has anyone noticed how the rows of lights along the Southbank riverside are slowly going out? It would seem that the bulbs are blowing and there is no effort to replace them. I have been doing the walk along from the Tate Modern to the London Eye several times a week for the past year and noticed the gradual decline in what is a great feature of the river

With so much investment in the river frontage why can't we get this small detail right?

Come on Ken get some money spent and buy some bulbs!
Wednesday 7 January 2004 10.05am
I think that they are the responsibility of Southwark and Lambeth (although the South Bank Centre currently has responsibility for Jubilee Gardens).

I'm sure I read somewhere that the cost of refurbishing the "dolphin" lamps in Lambeth was estimated at 3,000 per column, on the basis of what Westminster had to spend on the ones on Victoria Embankment a couple of years ago.

There was also a debate on whether the "festoons" of bulbs should be got rid of as they looked too "end of the pier" even when they were working.

I don't know whether they are covered by Lambeth's streetlighting PFI scheme which recently got Government approval.
Tuesday 13 January 2004 11.39am
I'm glad to see this kind of detail annoys others too. It drives me mad! However, it's not just the decorative lighting - much of the regular lighting along the riverside is also out of action leaving large swathes of the walkway in darkness. It makes the area look uncared for and run down after dark, as well as being positively dangerous in parts. Southwark invites us to report faulty lighting, which I do, but they never bother to reply, let alone do anything about it. Maybe they will if more people contact them? The email address to write to is: Environment@southwark.gov.uk

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: