Plumbing problem expert advice needed

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 11 November 2008 5.36pm
A friend of mine called me last night to see if my handyman knowledge could fix his leaky pipe.

Here's the problem. Under his floor are the 28mm copper pipes for the heating boiler. At one place there are 90 degree soldered elbows. The pipes run almost touching each other. At this bend the inside pipe elbow is leaking so bad that the water drains out of the system. So how do you fic that joint when all the pipes are so close and there is little flexibility in the pipework to replace anything?
Any ideas? Perhaps some sort of sealing putty?
Tuesday 11 November 2008 7.17pm
saw out that section and solder in a new section?
Tuesday 11 November 2008 9.58pm
Milliput
you can get it at 4D Models which is just over Tower Bridge.
Thursday 13 November 2008 12.43pm
Epoxy putty will fail in due course, IME.

Cut out the section, bend the pipes a bit, and fit in a new section - soldered, or compression fit according to taste.

The plumber who installed it probably did it in a different order.
Thursday 13 November 2008 2.34pm
I tried an epoxy leak sealing putty in a similar circumstance but it was no good, it may have reduced the leak but the boiler still lost pressure within a few days.
Do they do 28mm push fit joints ?
I agree with ariba10, cut back so you have room and replace the section, thats exactly what I ended up doing with my leak which was in 22mm copper pipes (I used pushfit but it was tricky to wedge it all back in, due to pipes coming off there wasnt much lateral movement in the pipes available).
You may have to avoid soldering (pushfit or compression instead) the replacement pipe back in if there are any water drips present in the pipework. It usually stops the pipe getting hot enough in my experience.
Oh, the circular cutters are good but if the pipes are close together then you probably can't get a full circle on the cutter - hence you may need to use hacksaw instead - just try to get a straight cut through.

Wednesday 8 August 2012 9.00pm
I agree with Davis, but to save you from all the troubles I would suggest you hire professionals for better result and less effort.

Wednesday 8 August 2012 9.13pm
Love the 4 year gap in messages - and the cheeky "Plumbing London" advert.

A worthwhile post!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: