Coin sorting in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
hellsbells Wednesday 12 November 2008 1.16pm
I've done a search and can find nothing on this. A few months ago I saw someone sorting coins in a machine at a supermarket, but I can't remember where. I have a large quantity of coins to sort.

Does anyone have details of any of the supermarkets in SE1 (or elsewhere, in fact) which have these machines?

Advertisement

James Hatts Wednesday 12 November 2008 1.18pm
They have a machine at Asda in the Old Kent Road but I think the commission is quite hefty.

See also http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/91514

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
Jan the old one Wednesday 12 November 2008 1.20pm
7% James
Tattie Wednesday 12 November 2008 1.51pm
I would suggest starting to take small quantities with you when you go to a shop. They often need to pay the bank for coins and will be very grateful to get some
dee dee Wednesday 12 November 2008 2.10pm
they did have one in Tesco at Surrey Quays but not sure if still there whilst they are refurbishing

I was in ASDA in Greenwich on Sunday and there was a big queue to use the coin changer so seems many people do not mind paying the commission. Tattie is right though ask at your local shop as they often will be happy to take it off you.
The Mapmaker Wednesday 12 November 2008 2.28pm
HSBC on the Edgeware road W1 have a coin sorting machine, for free!

No help if you don't bank with them; no help if you won't travel outside SE1. But there must be an automatic HSBC (i.e. no helpful staff) somewhere?
Ivanhoe Wednesday 12 November 2008 2.28pm
I save mine for a really dull rainy day and do it myself.

...if you press it, they will come.
JonR Wednesday 12 November 2008 2.29pm
don't try buying a newspaper with it, from a stand though - last time I tried it the guy was very rude, 'what can I do with those? No one wants coppers mate, I can't get rid of them!'

I wasn't even buying a paper, I wanted to change 20p worth of coppers for a 20p piece to use the toilet at Liverpool St Station! I didn't have any other change at all! Grrr
longlaner Wednesday 12 November 2008 2.57pm
I saved up a load and took them to Tesco on OKR. The commission was indeed a hefty 7%, but I was glad to get rid of them, the sorting process was fun, and I walked away with 160 in cash.
Laphroaig Wednesday 12 November 2008 2.58pm
How did you carry them all??
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions