Long Lane road works

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 14 November 2008 8.40am
Does anyone know how long these are scheduled to go on for-it was chaos last night on my way back as the buses were struggling to get through and then this morning there was a problem as the vehicles going through the road works by Long Lane playground did not have enough room to queue to the second set of lights by Wilds Rents and again the road got blocked
Friday 14 November 2008 9.35am
Your right DeeDee, it was diabolical last night, of all the nights when I decided to get a taxi back from work 'cos I was shattered! The taxi driver from canary wharf took me the way he described as a short cut to avoid the traffic and I would describe as ride to hell, down some back street where ever fifty feet was a bleeding sharp bump or hump, ending up near st katherines dock..

finally turned onto tower bridge, yeah lovely I thought, over the other side..gridlock..told him to do U - turn so could go down Tanner street...tried to get out into Long lane from weston street,traffic seemed superglued to the road.. was tempted to stop the taxi and try to walk home aches and pains stopped me though. 24 later...I arrived home!
that'll teach me to be lazy...
so sod the bleeding roadworks! :-)
Saturday 15 November 2008 4.40am
its the worst lay out of road works ive seen and making both crossings very unsafe......
Saturday 15 November 2008 7.49am
Is it Thames Water again? I know the mass water mains replacement is theoretically a good thing, but it is doing. My. Head. In.
Saturday 15 November 2008 8.16am
Thames water are a bunch of vandals...they broke the railings on long lane (near empire square) over a year ago and have never made good the damage..thisis despite numerous requests to the council to get on to them and sort it out
Saturday 15 November 2008 9.09pm
Jan the old one wrote:
The taxi driver from canary wharf took me the way he described as a short cut to avoid the traffic ending up near st katherines dock..
finally turned onto tower bridge, yeah lovely I thought, over the other side..gridlock.. 24 later...I arrived home!
that'll teach me to be lazy...
so sod the bleeding roadworks! :-)

As a "black cab" driver myself, I picked a job up from the rank opposite the Lehman Brothers building in Bank St., Canary Wharf last Friday at around 3.00 p.m., it went to Abbey St. at the junction of Old Jamaica Rd. I went through Rotherhithe tunnel and the fare went 9.80. It should not be incumbent upon you to tell a "black cab" driver the route to take as he should know it, but if I were you Jan I'd tell the driver to use the tunnel if you take a taxi again.
P.S. Whoever implemented those two sets of stop/go lights in Long Lane is about as good as a one-legged tap dancer!
Monday 17 November 2008 12.06pm
I complained to contractor Morrison following the OVERNIGHT roadworks carried out in September. I received the following on 26 September from Steve Flight (Morrison Customer Liaison Supervisor):

1. We are replacing the water mains in your area in order to protect your water supply for today and in the future. We are required to work at weekends by Southwark Council due to the amount of traffic problems that would occur if we carried out this work on weekdays. This is essential work and although I sympathise with the disruption it is causing you there is very little we can do because of the location.

2. We are working in different phases and due to being restricted to working at weekends we cannot complete the work in one go.

3. The work is planned to continue for another 2 weeks and then we will be completely finished and will not be returning. The night work was approved by the Out of Hours team at Southwark Council. There was a letter sent to residents in June explaining our intentions and also Thames Water invited residents to a drop in session before we started work in the area.

I am sorry for the disruption this is causing you and as explained above we will be away from your location for good in two weeks.
END OF QUOTE

... two weeks seems to have come and gone!!
Monday 17 November 2008 12.11pm
I did Tom, but he said the traffic was bad, so went down the link, along the highway then turned left into a road dont know name of.. that seemed to go forever..that was about 6.30ish..just looked on map, think it's Pennington street,ending up in st katherines way,
I like the West India road, then through the tunnel, abbey street, then tower bridge road, then onto bartholomew street..
and as I am hanging on by the skin of my teeth to this temp job at lehmans, that was where he picked me up from!
Monday 17 November 2008 11.16pm
Jan the old one wrote:
I did Tom, but he said the traffic was bad, so went down the link, along the highway then turned left into a road dont know name of.. that seemed to go forever..that was about 6.30ish..just looked on map, think it's Pennington street,ending up in st katherines way,

It wouldn't have been Pennington St. Jan, that doesn't end up in St. Katharines Way, it runs parallel with The Highway for 200-250 metres, more likely he turned left into either Glamis Rd., Garnet St., or Wapping Lane. All these lead to Wapping High St. then St. Katharines Way, all full of speed bumps. Eventually you would come back on to East Smithfield at either Thomas More St. or Vaughn Way, just before Tower Bridge. Strangely enough the last job I did this evening was from that same rank to the Hilton, Tooley St. Through the tunnel again, it went a dead 13.00, but traffic was very light.
Tuesday 18 November 2008 9.02am
Crikey Tom, I bet you never need a SatNav!

if you ever see a very large lady come out of old lehmans building with a stick smile and say hello! :-)

and to be fair to the driver last week the traffic was bad both sides of the bridge,I think all the speed bumps,cobbles must play havoc with the suspension on the cabs though?

I would not like to drive in London for a living, I were'nt safe on the roads 46 years ago, let alone now!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network