Drumming in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Raf
Saturday 15 November 2008 12.34pm
Hello

I'm looking to practice my drumming somewhere in SE1, a rehearsal studio where you can just drum. Does anyone know where I can approach? Thanks

Raf
Saturday 15 November 2008 1.36pm
There's the London Centre of Contemporary Music - I think that's what it's called - on Union St. That might be the place to start.
Monday 17 November 2008 5.45pm
sorry I cant help you with this but hope you find somewhere otherwise I pity your poor neighbours. My son just cant understand why I tell him he can not have a drum kit at home if we want to stay on friendly terms with our neighbours. Mind you it does mean we dont have to suffer his practising either:)
Monday 17 November 2008 9.24pm
Terminal Studios off of Bermondsey Street is a good quality rehearsal space, its quite expensive but the smallest room might be ok. A cheaper option is Alaska Studios (under arches at Waterloo) which is a scuzzy rehearsal room complex but very cheap and very rock n roll
Monday 17 November 2008 9.31pm
Isn't there also a rehersal studio just down from Borough tube station? Forgotten the name.
Tuesday 18 November 2008 12.13pm
There are studios in Leroy Street, not sure who owns them though.
Tuesday 18 November 2008 7.59pm
the studios in Leeroy Street are called Miloco and are professional recording studios (i.e. 500 per day) not rehearsal rooms
Wednesday 4 February 2009 4.48pm
Coffee: "sorry I cant help you with this but hope you find somewhere otherwise I pity your poor neighbours. My son just cant understand why I tell him he can not have a drum kit at home if we want to stay on friendly terms with our neighbours. Mind you it does mean we dont have to suffer his practising either:)"

My parents were just like you: you know, zero encouragement for something their child loves to do. The practice you 'suffer' now could make the difference between your son doing something he loves as a career and something he hates. There are a number of solutions to helping your son:
-a normal drum kit with silencer pads placed on cymbals and drums(approx 45 for some a complete silencers set that take away 90% of the noise)
-digital drum kit (very expensive though)
-hire the drums at a rehearsal studio (cheap would be 6-10/hr; maybe once or twice a week)
-at the minimum get him a practice pad and some sticks
and if you're feeling generous, some lessons would be invaluable
Fortunately, my passion was stronger than my parents refusal to support me and through a couple of years of playing on pillows, books, really old bad drum machines and constantly listening to music, I've now been playing properly for 15 years and am really good. I hope for your son's sake that he has the strength of character to carry his desire despite the lack of support.
Wednesday 4 February 2009 7.47pm
Hey Raf,

I've walked past the church on Bermondsey Street,(opposite Bermondsey kitchen) and they seem to have bands practising in there, and they may have a kit set up. It obviously won't be all bells and whistles, but they probably won't charge as much as terminal either. Sorry I can't remember the name.

My brother's a session player, and swears by his Roland practice kit, he can practice any time day or night - he had a nosebleed about the price when he bought it, but said he's never regretted it, could be your answer? Mind you, if you ain't got the room.

Good luck with finding somewhere!
Wednesday 18 March 2009 12.04pm
Hi Raf,

You looking for people to practice with?

I'm based in SE1 (London Bridge (next to Borough Market)) and am looking to put something together. Me - by day am a fusty lawyer and by night a dynamic guitarist/songwriter.

Influences - Cream, Led Zep, The Who, etc., etc.

Check out my ad on Join My Band...

http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/classifieds/ad.php?p=80980

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: