Blue plaque - Stainer Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 17 November 2008 6.16am
I emailed Southwark Council a long time ago to advise them that the Blue plaque commemorating the bombing during the 2nd world war in which a lot of people were killed is incorrect. It states that the bombing happened in February 1940 but, as we know, the 'Blitz' did not take place until late 1940 onwards and so I think the Stainer Street bombing might have been February 1941. If only the council would rectify that error or pass it on to the relevant authorities for correction.
Monday 24 November 2008 10.11am
Thanks for that link Longlaner - fascinating website that I had not come across before.
Tuesday 13 January 2009 8.59pm
I noticed this when I started work in St Thomas Street and e-mailed Southwark Council in October. I didn't get a reply.
You'll be glad to know I passed the plaque today and there's been a new plaque put up with the date corrected. Someone must have been taking notice of us!
Wednesday 14 January 2009 12.52am
I also emailed Southwark Life about this in November but have had no response or even an acknowledgement

This was the most terible of incidents as I am sure you all know

The shelter had two 5 tonne steel doors at each end. The one at the St Thomas Street end was ripped off causing many of the casualties including those of Doctor Lesley Probyn and her two nurses, Rosina Hartley and Ethel Nixon (there was a first aid post in the shelter); their bodies were never recovered amongst many others as the casualty count tells us

The Guy's Hospital staff were quickly on the scene and Nelson Burgess the senior warden of the hospital recounted that there was great difficulty in removing the bodies as the blast wall collapsed and the bodies were mingled with the bodies. Also a hydraulic main burst in the shelter

There was a memorial service held in St Mary Magdalene some days later

I feel it is totally disrespectful to have the wrong date

This incident was compunded by a delayed action bomb going off in St Thomas Street several hours later killing two young ARP workers belived to be Charles Heron and John Shepherd. Again the bodies were not found
Wednesday 14 January 2009 10.36am
Sorry; above should read "...the bodies were mingled with sandbags"
Wednesday 4 February 2009 11.31am
There's a letter about this in the latest Southwark Life with a picture of the corrected plaque

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 24 February 2010 11.02am
Wednesday 24 February 2010 12.09pm
There's a photo of the damage Jim describes on this site.
Wednesday 17 March 2010 10.58am
That was an interesting article in the local paper, James Hatts. If it had been written a year or two before the quoted inscription would have said 'February 1940'! It was incorrect from inception in 2003 until 2009.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: