Octopus

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Jac
Wednesday 19 November 2008 10.56am
Does anyone know where to get octopus ideally locally but if not anywhere in central london?
Wednesday 19 November 2008 11.05am
Applebee's in Borough Market?
Wednesday 19 November 2008 12.37pm
Sea Life Centre, City Hall?
Wednesday 19 November 2008 12.48pm
here's that little "shop" on Toulmin St (by Charles Dickens school) that does fish - not sure about octopus:

Aberdeen Sea Products
Unit 2
Suffolk House
Toulmin Street
London
SE1 1PP
Tel: 020 7407 0247
www.aberdeenseaproducts.co.uk
Jac
Wednesday 19 November 2008 1.18pm
Thanks for replies. JonR you are sooooo helpful. I've not seen them at applebees or aberdeen seafood but then again i've not looked for it before. Was also a bit scared of the cost from borough market but now my sister has found it for me at 2.50 each in Ramsgate (buying over the internet was going to cost me upwards of 25for 2 with p&p). Ok not Central london but as im going down there at the weekend thats my problem solved.
Wednesday 19 November 2008 1.31pm
Mmmmm takoyaki http://www.bento.com/tr-tako.html

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 19 November 2008 4.07pm
I presumed you meant octopus to cook, but couldn't be certain. there's a nice fish shop on Morning Lane, just off Mare St, central Hackney, (just across the road from where I work) which could probably get you some, on order.
Wednesday 19 November 2008 6.43pm
Steve Hatt, 88 Essex road, Islington. The best fish mongers I've come accross
Monday 24 November 2008 1.03pm
I would be worried about paying 2.50 for an octopus. That would be for like a large squid.
The best octopus comes from Galicia (Spain) and there you pay no less than 7.50 euros/Kg.
Look into the eye to see if it is fresh just like you do with fish. It has to be clear and shiny.
For a traditional Gallician recipe
http://www.opensourcefood.com/people/marcos/recipes/pulpo-feira-boiled-octopus-gallician-style
Monday 24 November 2008 11.24pm
There is an absolutely excellent fish mongers on East Street. If you're coming from Walworth Road it's on the left hand side about 150 yards in (there's another on the right almost opposite). I buy from it at least twice a week, it's cheap, the selection is huge and there's always two or three things that are spankingly fresh. And to cap it all the guys that work there are really friendly. I've bought mackerel, herring, sea bream and mussels recently. They had octopus on Friday, but I bought razor clams instead. They were xcellent, and 7.99 a kilo compared to over 16 at Appelbee's!!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: