Bunnies in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 19 November 2008 4.19pm
There has been plenty of talk of cats and dogs, so time for a bunnie thread.....

We are looking for someone who might like to bunny sit two really nice animals for a week in December. We can provide an indoor cage or an outdoor hutch and all food. If you were thinking of a pet it would be one way of seeing if it would work. Or if you live near Lambeth Bridge we could pay someone to feed them.

The big fat white one is an English giant and is about a meter long. She likes sitting on the sofa and watching X Factor. (But not the boy who has a cat on his head.) The black one is sleeker. They get on well together and dont need a lot of attention. They are happy being handled. They are generally well behaved though the black one will chew wires if left to roam.

References to bunnies as "credit crunch lunch" should be avoided.
Wednesday 19 November 2008 4.28pm
A metre long! What does he weigh? He could probably eat Louis Walsh in a single bite. I do know that rabbits are herbivores, but I'd be happy if he made an exception for Louis.
Wednesday 19 November 2008 4.56pm
About 5 kilos. It really is a beast of a bunny. Despite the fact that she has slimmed down considerably in the time we have had her. She pricks up her ears when chocolate is nearby, suggesting that in a previous life Dairy Milk was considered a vegetable. (Like that recent survey which suggests that many kids think Jaffa Cakes count towards the five a day.)

She lies on the sofa and nods its head in time to the music.

I dont think bunny (they are known informally as fattie and rattie) minds Louis Walsh, but assume he shares the family horror of Dannii's frozen forehead. The Rabbit in the Headlights look.
Wednesday 19 November 2008 5.05pm
Sorry I got her gender wrong. "Fattie" is quite a nickname.

It amused me that people think a baked potato counts as one of the five a day, but wouldn't count frozen fruit or veg. Personally I think a glass of wine counts as one, so five glasses and I'm there!
Wednesday 19 November 2008 5.21pm
As long as you dont think a portion of roast rabbit counts.......
Wednesday 19 November 2008 7.51pm
Hi - we may be able to do this for you. We had 2 rabbits but one died earlier this year, so we have a lovely big spare hutch in our nice warm shed in the garden. It really depends on what week it is in December.

Our rabbit used to be house rabbits but we had to move them to the shed when my son was born. We still get our rabbit in during the evening though.

Would 2 rabbits of this size fit in a big hutch?
Thursday 20 November 2008 7.44am
Sounds wonderful. It would be the week starting 14 December. We also have a spare outdoor hutch. My understanding is that it does not matter that the hutch is quite small - bunnies spend most of their lives in burrows. But they do need to be able to run (hop) around a bit once or twice a day.

Foxes are a problem in SE1 so some time indoors in the evening would be ideal.

Ours were indoor when we got them but are now outdoor so will have proper winter coats. (Nice furry ones in case you ask - Mapmaker.)

They get on really well together. Though and despite being another girl, the black one will sometimes try to mount the white one. (Look mum, they are cuddling says my daughter.) So wont need that much care.

Bunnies are the ideal SE1 pet.
Thursday 20 November 2008 1.25pm
if youre worried about them fighting - you could always get a couple of chickens

Thursday 20 November 2008 9.00pm
sarah2 wrote:
(Like that recent survey which suggests that many kids think Jaffa Cakes count towards the five a day.)

You mean they don't, oh no! Just don't tell me that the calories don't leak out of broken biscuits!
Friday 21 November 2008 8.13am
Hay is the ultimate slimming diet. It worked for our bunny and would work for you too.

(Though like them you might then find yourself diving for the bottom of the food bowl for the more delectable bits of bunny brunch.)

We also enjoyed the You Tube clip Mick pointed us to. The neighbours tom cat who irritatingly tended to use our one flower bed as his litter tray, turned up soon after the bunnies arrived to have a good sniff and investigate. The big fat white one stood up on her hind legs (she is a mighty animal when she does that) and peed all over the cat. The cat has not returned.

Round One to bunnies.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: