Puddles. Is Southwark the worst ?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Thursday 8 January 2004 6.17pm
Every time it rains all the gutters overflow, and you have to have your wits about you to avoid being drenched by passing cars and especially buses. Great Dover Street is a really good example of a swimming pool when it rains, but Borough High St and Newcomen Street are close behind. Has the art of the incline been lost over the years ?
Thursday 8 January 2004 6.30pm
for puddle dodging, try the section between Tennis St. and Asra House on the north side of Long Lane - there are some deep puddles and a pronounced dip in the road just past the pedestrian crossing that catches out any cars taking the bend at speed [it can be good spectactor sport if you've nothing better to do..........] I suppose we'll have to wait for the huge tower to be built opposite before anything is done to improve the road surface in that area [or the pavements for that matter, but that's another story.]
Thursday 8 January 2004 6.38pm
Jane,

You beat me to it - I'm guessing we may live in the same building then (the one just by the dip, on the same side of the road ?).

I don't have a view from my windows, but I watched someone get absolutely soaked there this morning as some kindly driver actually speeded up whilst driving round the bend...

Thursday 8 January 2004 6.38pm

I quite like puddles, as long as they are outside
Thursday 8 January 2004 6.46pm
so do I, so long as they are not projected in my direction by mean motorists. At least the ones outside the Madison contribute to watering the plants....
Thursday 8 January 2004 6.53pm

oh, I think know your buildings too - I work on the other side of the large open space (soon to be filled) so will have nice (dark) view of the tower I can't afford to live in. I think they are a bit cheeky with their 'community space' boasts.
Thursday 8 January 2004 7.01pm
yup, I agree. I expect that within less than year of the 'public square' in the centre of the development materialising there will be so many problems associated with litter, vagrants, vandalism, drunken teenagers [viz St. Georges Park behind the Madison - they'll spread their territory across the road when convenient] that it will be effectively closed to the public and become 'gated' - but that's another debate......
Thursday 8 January 2004 7.03pm
Try New Kent Road near Rodney Place - when a bus passes, the bow wave is 4/5 foot high....

Thursday 8 January 2004 10.41pm
I find walking to the tube from Bermondsey St on a morning like today something like an obstacle course - dodging puddles on pavements, turning to see if there's any cars coming, dashing past the lake that used to be the road, skirting round the next puddle, shrieking when you realise a car is approaching and you've nowhere to hide!
There's a great puddle for people-getting-soaked watching just beside the Emergency Maternity entrance of Guys on Thomas st. I swear cars speed up when they see it...
Thursday 8 January 2004 10.42pm
Grange Road is dreadful too - once I had to double back and go down Grange Walk because the puddles on Grange Road were so bad I couldn't cross the side streets without doing a Doctor Foster....

And Bermondsey Street's not much better - it's exacerbated by the fact that there's a part of it where the pavement on both sides is obstructed so you have to walk in the road. You'd think that given the road is over 1000 years old they'd have managed to get the surfacing right by now...
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network