Dulwich Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 4 December 2008 12.58pm
Is Boris really going ahead with plans to build 180 houses on parkland? or was it just incorrect reporting?
Thursday 4 December 2008 4.39pm
Where was it reported?
Thursday 4 December 2008 5.24pm
Standard last night..I will ask my brother to save it ( the paper not the park!) as I was visiting my Mum last night.
Thursday 4 December 2008 5.33pm
Read the website just now, Boris has given go ahead for 180 houses on Crystal Palace Park!
Friday 5 December 2008 8.10am
Here's the link.

I saw this comment:

As far as I'm aware the proposal is to build the 180 new homes on the caravan site that occupies the site of Rockhills (originally John Paxton's house). This site was never part of Crystal Palace park so I don't understand what the fuss is about. Where's the money to improve the park going to come from if the housing is blocked?

- Julie, Crystal Palace
Friday 5 December 2008 8.14am
Found this map, which shows the caravan site at the top.
Friday 5 December 2008 11.07am
Is there a row of caravans there now? what is a caravan club? why cant the original features be restored? an orangery sounds lovely..how high would 180 flats be on a small site?
Friday 5 December 2008 2.54pm
If you look at it on Google Earth, it looks like a parking lot with trees, with some caravans parked there. Does anyone else have any information on it?

One of the things I was struck by when I moved here is how much open green space there is for such a dense city. When you read about towns being built from scratch in the middle of nowhere on what is currently conservation land, it does seem as though there is an argument to be made that it would be better to infill some of the open space in cities, where there is already infrastructure, if the expected population increase is to be housed.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: