Child protection

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 6 January 2009 6.40pm
Hello all! Hope you had a wonderful 2007/2008 and will enjoy an even better 2009.

I have just watched a television advertisement outlining the plight of an 8 year old child who was (is?) struggling to care for her mother, sadly disabled with MS. Does anybody else find it disturbing that, if a child under 14 is left in sole charge of a child or children, quite rightly, the parent is in breach of the law yet an underage child can be responsible for the care of a disabled parent (and probably younger siblings) with no Government provided help or intervention?

Mmm
Monday 12 January 2009 2.28pm
That made me feel really sad too, the weight of responsibility on those young shoulders. I do think it is wrong but I suppose the alternatives - being taken into care - aren't always what the children would want either. There isn't nearly enough support for young carers and their situation is probably far too easy for social services to ignore.
Monday 12 January 2009 2.55pm
The Mum probably got better care from her child than she would have done from some ' professional' home carers who are employed by agencies and want to please themselves as regards to times, or the agencys agree to take on more work than their staff can handle so staff cut the hours so they can give at least person ten or fifteen minutes to feed and wash someone..

and the daughter probably knew that..why did no one tell her about Direct payments or a relative take it over?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: