Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 1 February 2009 9.30pm
Looks like I'll have a lot of time to try all the red wines suggested in an earlier thread, the baby caught chickenpox at nursery.

I bought some calamine creme against the itch (lotion was sold out in all the pharmacies around) and gave her paracetamol against the fever. Any other tips?
Monday 2 February 2009 12.49am
I dont know if its available in the UK, perhaps in an eastern european shop... Its a green liquid, which acts like iodine. Maybe you can use iodine even. Thats what my mom used when I had chicken pox... It was a bit of a pain washing it off my face, but it worked very well
Monday 2 February 2009 4.56pm
Poor little thing, but good to get it over with, all those childhood diseases are far easier when they're small. Tea is supposed to help (in the bath I mean), and there's a purple-y stuff toput in the bath that my kids used, but it's more than thirty years ago so who knows what has come along since.
Monday 2 February 2009 11.00pm
I'm tempted to send my two round for a kiss to catch it but after all the rotten colds they've had lately it might be a bit mean!
My Mum put Zinc and castor oil cream on my rash which stopped the itching.
Hope she feels better soon. x
Tuesday 3 February 2009 12.11pm
Thanks for the tips. Plum, I thought your kids go to playclub? Chickenpox are all the rage just now and lots of kids have it, who all have siblings who have chances are they'll catch them soon anyway.
Tuesday 3 February 2009 12.25pm
My son had chicken pox which he passed onto me as well a couple of years ago and the pharmacist in Abbey street suggested Eurax lotion-it was very good worked a lot better than camomile lotion!
Wednesday 4 February 2009 12.39pm
Katia, ask your g.p. for some anti-histamines for baby...Phenergan is a good one suitable for children you can get it over the counter.

Bicarbonate of soda made into a thin paste helps if you have run out of calamine. keep the nails short and clean too...babies not yours! :-)
Wednesday 11 February 2009 11.16pm
I know the thinking used to be that it was better to get chickenpox when you're a kid and get it over with, but since it's now known that having chickenpox can lead to you getting shingles later in life, I would really caution parents to reconsider deliberately exposing their children to it.
Wednesday 11 February 2009 11.22pm
Well, this is interesting. I just found this:

[A]dults who have had chickenpox as a child are less likely to have shingles in later life if they have been exposed occasionally to the chickenpox virus (for example by their children).

So I guess it's good to have your children get it! ;-)

More here.
Thursday 12 February 2009 8.45am
take it from me it is no fun getting chicken pox as an adult!!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: