New Lister

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 30 March 2009 6.14pm
Hi everyone,
I'm a new lister,2nd generation Canadian and unfortunately,have never had the opportunity to visit England;in person anyway.For the past twenty years, I've lived and breathed England researching my ancestors in Bermondsey,StOlave,StSaviour,Lambeth,Camberwell and so on. I stumbled onto this site doing just that.
Yesterday I read tons of letters to the forum and enjoyed them so much I decided to join up.
I realized there wasn't a great difference in how we grew up.There were neighbors under,over and on both sides of us. Some pounding up when my sister and I were jumping rope in the flat when mom and dad were out.
Other times,we'd be doing the banging up with the broom when the (Smith's)were having their knock down dragout fights on a Saturday night.Stepping over Mr(Jones)on the sidewalk, where after a few hours at the bar,couldn't quite make it to his door.
I'm a senior citizen now but how I miss the old neighborhood. The same feelings seem to be in some of your mail.The comraderie of that time is very difficult to replace.
Barbara E
Monday 30 March 2009 11.49pm
Hi there Barbara and welcome!

My family has lived in the Bermondsey/Lambeth areas for generations, and I also enjoy researching my family history. If you go onto Google maps Streetview you can take a virtual tour of the area. Mind you Bermondsey was extensively bombed during WW2 so finding buildings where your ancestors lived might be a problem!

feel free to join in on any of the threads.

All the best,

Auntie Pat
Wednesday 1 April 2009 9.10am
Hi Barbara,

I second our Auntie Pats welcome, this is a wonderful site and all you would have to do is to mention a few names and where abouts and I bet someone would have known them or the street where they lived.

Oddly enough via this forum I met a man who used to live nearby and his whole family emigrated back to Canada where his Dad came from, and he became a writer describing the Rockies etc.

look forward to reading some more from you,

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: