Mayor of London Boris Johnson

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 3 April 2009 9.40pm
It has been almost a year since the election. What do you think about our new mayor? He has certainly been entertaining (“I say to the Chinese and I say to the world - ping pong is coming home”).

He has been working on some of his promises regarding transport (removal of the western extension of the congestion charging zone, motorbikes in bus lanes trial, bendy busses out) and made a lot of people realise one could drink on the tube… What else did you like and loathe?
Friday 3 April 2009 10.28pm
Johnson's only "achievements" so far have been the axing of all the transport schemes, public space improvements and environmental initiatives proposed under Ken's tenure.

Johnson has done NOTHING for this city, other than crack jokes and make people laugh with his bumbling attitude. It sickens me that people are so blind to his incompetence. London is a city going backwards thanks to him.

Most ludicrous of all, is his plan for a huge polluting 50bn airport in the middle of a bird sanctuary which also happens to be located on a major flood plane. And of course, 150 million being wasted on a pointless bus redesign. And his choice of advisors shows poor judgement.

http://www.futuretimeline.net - a timeline of future history
Sunday 5 April 2009 4.05am
At least, the council tax was frozen. With Ken, it was increasing every year, wasting taxpayersmoney as the services were not improving. I used to live in North London four years ago. How many times did I have to wait for more than 30 minutes for a bus to go to work! The congestion charge was also supposed to improve public transports!
Some people can only criticise. I recently read on the BBC website that Boris has decided to help jobseekers by reducing the cost of travelling on buses and the tramway by 50%. This is a start. I hope it will be extended to the underground as it is still too pricey and very unrealiable at weekends.
By the way, I am not looking for a job as I have been teaching for 15 years in the same school!
Sunday 5 April 2009 9.52am
I know he's THINKING of cancelling the Western extention of the CC, but it hasnt happened. What he DID cancel is the chance for super low emission cars(like mine) not to have to pay the CC. So I'm pretty p**sed of about that. Otherwise...cant say I've seen much to applaud so far.
Monday 6 April 2009 8.59am
I'm with wjfox on this. In my opinion his public persona's an unhealthy mixture of bully and clown, and it infutiates me that he gets away with it. When I've seen him in action he always seems more involved in how to play his response than in the issues he's paid to deal with. And the MO's always predictable - start with heavy-handed jollity and, if probed or contradicted, descend to slitty-eyed aggression.
Wednesday 8 April 2009 1.35pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
I know he's THINKING of cancelling the Western extention of the CC, but it hasnt happened. What he DID cancel is the chance for super low emission cars(like mine) not to have to pay the CC. So I'm pretty p**sed of about that. Otherwise...cant say I've seen much to applaud so far.

Sorry Jackie, but imo that's about the only sensible thing he has done. For me, the point of the congestion charge is to reduce congestion. And from that POV, a car's a car.

Perhaps you should lobby his Borisness to bring in a pollution charge, which, no doubt, would give you the saving you're craving.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 8 April 2009 3.02pm
wjfox2004 wrote:
Johnson's only "achievements" so far have been the axing of all the transport schemes, public space improvements and environmental initiatives proposed under Ken's tenure.

Too true - the worst one IMO being the scrapping of the Rotherhithe - Canary wharf footbridge, although there are others - his abandoning the scheme to pedestrianise the square in front of the Palace of Westminster for example. Or the failure to extend the low emissions zone.
Friday 10 April 2009 7.12pm
I love him. But of course I can't vote for him anyway.
Tuesday 14 April 2009 1.33pm
better than comrade livingstone by a mile...
Tuesday 14 April 2009 9.36pm
boroughpaul wrote:
better than comrade livingstone by a mile...

If you're a gas-guzzling motorist who denies global warming and hates public spaces then yeah, I could understand why you'd say that.

http://www.futuretimeline.net - a timeline of future history
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: