Cream Horns

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 6 April 2009 2.10pm
I have a mad fancy for a cream horn, has anyone seen any lately?
Monday 6 April 2009 3.44pm
Apologies for my ignorance (foreign you know) btu what's a cream horn?
Monday 6 April 2009 4.10pm
ooh Jan you have started me off wanting one now-there used to be a shop in piccadilly that did them when i worked there but some time ago now!
Monday 6 April 2009 4.15pm
Grandmas creamed horns

Cream Horns
8oz Rough Puff Pastry
1 Egg White, beaten
6fl.oz. Double Cream
2 teasp Caster Sugar
2-3 drops Vanilla Extract
12 teasp Strawberry Jam

1. Preheat the oven to 230C, 450F, Gas Mark 8 and lightly grease 12 cream horn moulds. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.

2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to 1/8 inch thick then cut into 12 long strips 1 inch wide.

3. Brush lightly with the beaten egg white then wind the pastry strips around the moulds, starting at the pointed end and overlapping by 1/4 inch each round.

4. Trim the tops, brush with more of the egg white and place well apart on the baking trays.

5. Bake for 8-10 minutes until puffed up, crisp and golden brown.

6. Remove the pastry from the horn tins and cool on a wire rack.

7. In a mixing bowl, whip the cream with the sugar and vanilla essence until stiff.

8. To serve - place 1 teaspoon of jam in the bottom of each pastry horn and fill with the whipped cream.
Monday 6 April 2009 4.21pm
Jan the old one wrote:
I have a mad fancy for a cream horn, has anyone seen any lately?

Are you crazy? I've just spent seven months slimming from a sixteen to a fourteen and just READING your post has put half an inch back on my waist!
Monday 6 April 2009 8.12pm
Only the fact that I haven't got any cream horn moulds has stopped me reaching for the rough puff. Jan, what about the guy with the huge cakes stall (I mean the cakes are huge, not the stall) in the open air market at the Blue? Don't remember if he does cream horns?
Monday 6 April 2009 8.52pm
Don't Greggs the Bakers do them?
Tuesday 7 April 2009 7.41am
Boss st.bloke...I hope so! it's not even 8 in the morning and to say I am salivating is an understatement..and whats an inch when I measure my waist in feet!

I did used to have some cream horn moulds under the sink..or was it dariole moulds..
thank you for the recipe Dee Dee..:-)

now tattie you will have to try one and realise what you have been missing!
Tuesday 7 April 2009 12.09pm
Jan you can get them in Tesco in the chiller cabint. Hmmmm, I might just have to add a box to the shopping list!!
Wednesday 8 April 2009 2.50pm
I know what they are now! Haven't had one in years, but the local baker where I grew up did them. For the life of me can't remember what they were called though.

I'm trying to lose some weight, so will stay well away from this post!!!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: