The Barnaby

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 23 April 2009 11.06pm
Some of you, of a certain age, will remember The Barnaby, the pub in Ilderton Road that was a magnet for the soi disant beautiful people of Bemondsey in the '70s. Question is, what was the name of the pub before it was called The Barnaby?
Thursday 23 April 2009 11.09pm
Tom Pepper wrote:
Some of you, of a certain age, will remember The Barnaby, the pub in Ilderton Road that was a magnet for the soi disant beautiful people of Bemondsey in the '70s. Question is, what was the name of the pub before it was called The Barnaby?

Please excuse typo, for Bemondsey please read Bermondsey, a surfeit of Absolut, I guess.
Friday 24 April 2009 7.48pm
Not old enough to remember it, but Ilderton Road was once Canterbury Road, and the pub at what is now number 224 was once the Canterbury Tavern (as distinct from the Canterbury Arms)
Friday 24 April 2009 11.26pm
[quote Lang Rabbie]Not old enough to remember it, but Ilderton Road was once Canterbury Road, and the pub at what is now number 224 was once the Canterbury Tavern (as distinct from the Canterbury Arms.

Thanks Lang Rabbie.
Wednesday 14 October 2009 2.25pm
Hi everyone!
I remember the Barnaby very well, I was of course one of the beautiful people who used to frequent this once terrific pub!
When I was a kid, it was the Canterbury Tavern and a very nice old fashioned pub it was, cosy and traditional, it had a unique look that continued when it became the Barnaby. I loved that old building, it had a special feel about it, and had a lot of very nice people that used the pub. The Barnaby was well decorated and clean, and we used to love going there during the week and on a Saturday night. As its reputation grew, it a little crowded for some of us, and I moved away (not too far) and had a baby, so I did not go there as much, and eventually we moved out of the area so I never went there again. I missed it, and some of the people we knew.
There was something special about Ilderton Road and that old pub, I think people who lived there will know what I mean. I have never found that same atmosphere anywhere else, pub or street. How sad the pub is now closed, it was a great place to go once.
I suppose we will lose that building too, and yet it is one of the last original buildings in Ilderton Road, that old church being another one, Ilderton School and the former Baptist church at the other side of what used to be the Grand Surrey canal, now another horrid busy road. The Canterbury Arms was an old pub originally, knocked down when they built the Tustin in 1967. There was also one of the smallest pubs ever called the Little Wonder, a few doors away.
Memories! I could go and on...bet you hope I dont, and I wont!! Cheers everyone, and has anyone else got special memories of Ilderton Road and the surrounding areas?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: