Three cheers for Prince Charles.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Tuesday 12 May 2009 4.59pm
Three cheers for Prince Charles, HIP HIP HOORAY HIP HIP HOORAY,HIP HIP HOORAY,
Apparently he's speaking at the Royal Institute of British Architects again,
I'm not even a traditionalist , but I have to say I find myself siding with the traditionalists,
Because on issues of planning they are right.
Wednesday 13 May 2009 6.33am
Ditto Mickysalt..:-)
Wednesday 13 May 2009 11.35am
I wish he had spoken up against the decisions made in the last few years when we had the self-important "I'm just a working man" John Prescott over-ruling the council and allowing the Shard etc to be built.
Wednesday 13 May 2009 1.12pm
Possel wrote:
I wish he had spoken up against the decisions made in the last few years when we had the self-important "I'm just a working man" John Prescott over-ruling the council and allowing the Shard etc to be built.

Southwark Council approved the Shard before Prescott called it in. And 70% of local residents support it, so you're in the minority.

Personally I'm overjoyed it's being built - since it will be a contender for the most stunning piece of modern architecture the world has ever seen. We are incredibly lucky to have such an exciting project for this city - and the timing couldn't be better, since it will transform the skyline just in time for the Olympics. Pity some people can't appreciate that.

Prince Charles has this quaint, outdated image of London in his mind which just isn't compatible with a modern, dynamic, 21st century metropolis.

http://www.futuretimeline.net - a timeline of future history
Wednesday 13 May 2009 3.59pm
I too must have the quaint outdated image in my mind, which probably means I'm not compatible with a modern, dynamic, 21st century metropolis.

I think I'll just go and sit in a corner being old fashioned, sluggish, 19th century and village-like. It's so unreasonable not to like buildings over 20 storeys in inappropriate locations, so hopefully tedious people like me will die off in the end, and not keep bothering all of the skyscraper fanatics with our inane mutterings.
Wednesday 13 May 2009 4.01pm
Just out of curiosity, where do you get that 70% figure?
Wednesday 13 May 2009 5.38pm
Agree agree.The Shard is actually rather stunning, and at least original, but the endless samey towers going up everywhere are just SO dreary and it seems to me deeply anti-social. How many years till they have to knock them down because of the isolation and suicides and domestic violence they cause, as with the highrises of the estates being demolished?
Thursday 14 May 2009 10.33am
I reckon the Shard will eclipse the Gherkin as the ultimate modern London icon and just like the Gherkin and the London Eye it will win over most of the people who are against it right now once its built.

I shook the hand of Prince Charles about 30 years ago on the Isle of Lewis when he did a walkabout on the way to his helicopter from the Lews Castle and I was really surprised that his hand was really rough like sandpaper, as if he had laboured all his life & not at all like a pampered prince.
Thursday 14 May 2009 6.54pm
I'd certainly vote for the Shard of Glass over the firestation in Prince Charles' experimental new village, Poundbury. IMHO it's a completely ridiculous building.

Link to Poundbury fire station photo
Thursday 14 May 2009 9.46pm
We (at work) are lined up to move into the Shard, can't wait. Just think to both live and work in SE1 in a building of that significance, in the borough with such a great blend of old and new. why live anywhere else.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: