Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 1 June 2009 5.19pm
Hi everyone.
Have just happened on this amazing site, and wanted to say hello to you all. I used to live at Tabard Street many years back, and went to the girls school, Laxon, which I believe has since been pulled down. Really excited at reading all the local news.
Tuesday 2 June 2009 8.47am
Annie-May, I lived in strood house, and went to laxon school, then elizabeth newtons in newcomen street! welcome to this lovely site..:-)
Tuesday 2 June 2009 11.04am
Where are you now, Annie May?
Tuesday 2 June 2009 7.37pm
Hi to Jan & Jackie.
Thank you for your messages. I lived in Chaucer House for some time, and went to Laxon as mentioned, although I did bunk off most of the time :) I have lived around the Medway towns for many years, but we are in the process of moving at the moment. Strange thing Jan, when we first moved to Kent we started out in Strood!
Are you both still in London?
Wednesday 3 June 2009 7.47am
Yes Annie-May, I just can't bring myself to move, everything is here that I need at the moment.

Who was the headmistress when you were at Laxon? Was it Mrs Kerr-Waller...
Wednesday 3 June 2009 8.24am
And I'm in the heart of the Elephant and Castle..if you go around the northern roundabout you can look up to the top of the white and blue building and see my trees waving in the wind!
Wednesday 3 June 2009 1.08pm
Hi Jan & Jackie.
I have good memories of the Elephant & Castle, especially the shopping centre when it first opened, they had some great boutiques! Also, saturday morning pictures for us kids at the ABC, opposite the Odeon.
Jan, I can't for the life of me remember who the headmistress was at Laxon, but I do remember 2 teachers! Mr Fireman was the art teacher, and they brought in a Miss Barratt to teach us girls ballet! It was a laugh a minute. Us girls all shapes and sizes prancing about like baby elephants, well, most of us anyway. We didn't stop laughing for long enough to take it seriously, can't remember how long Miss Barratt stayed for?
Wednesday 3 June 2009 1.27pm
Did they have the showers then Annie-May? flipping freezing, the sports mistress always stood watching as we tried to get out as quickly as possible, the showers were turned on, no cubicles or curtains to protect our modesty and we were expected to saunter in wash all relevant bits and get out in two minutes...
with the freezing water temp. we all attempted less than 30 seconds..Mrs Kerr-Waller was headmistress, oddly enough I was working with a chartered accountant and he said his next appointment was a mrs kerr- waller,and she looked hardly any different to when last saw her 20 years previously..
Thursday 4 June 2009 12.19pm
I have a vague memory of the showers, but I do remember being in a situation with a teacher watching, and if I recall rightly, I always came up with an excuse not to shower :)
I have strong memories of the cookery block :) We swore black & blue that the place was haunted. A bunch of us would creep in there when there weren't lessons going on, just to scare ourselves witless. What daft kids we were? Fun though :)
Thursday 4 June 2009 3.44pm
and I meant Elizabeth Newcomens school...not Newton! i still remember the navy blue berets with the yellow tassells!....
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: